Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard batteries low...but keyboard isn't wireless

I have an older Mac from 2009 so I've had it for quite a long time and it has been in constant use. Recently every time I log on I get a "keyboard batteries are low, recharge or replace soon" . I do have wireless mouse and replace the batteries regularly, but I don't have a wireless keyboard. I've checked all connections and I've checked system preferences which tells me that my batteries are at 17% (the number has been going down).

I have no idea what to make of this as there isn't even an area for batteries on the keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't believe I'm really just now depleting batteries in a keyboard I've had for 7 years.

However, when I first started checking it was reporting 20%. I'm tempted to just order a new keyboard, but thought I would ask first if there's something I'm missing. Sorry I'm not very computer savvy.

iMac

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 3:24 PM

18 replies

May 4, 2016 2:46 PM in response to stillshimpy

When was the last time you shut it down and unplugged it, then waited 15 seconds and plugged it back in and re-booted. Read this Apple Knowledge base article on resetting the SMC controller....

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

-Also-

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-Also-

OS X El Capitan: Reset your computer’s PRAM

If all these fail I would say buy a new keyboard, as there are no batteries in a USB wired keyboard that I'm aware of.

May 4, 2016 3:01 PM in response to babowa

It isn't the mouse, I replace those batteries frequently. I've had this computer for almost seven years and they regularly need replacing, plus while the keyboard "batteries are low, replace or recharge soon" message has been up, I've also gotten the one for the mouse....and replaced the mouse batteries without it altering the keyboard message.

I did understand that there really couldn't be any batteries in the keyboard. But just to be sure, I unplugged it entirely and tried to use the keyboard.

When I click on setting and select "keyboard" at the very bottom of the screen is the battery life report for the keyboard saying it is at 17%, It hasn't dropped in days, so for all I know switching the USB port did do something.

Oddly enough, the message started appearing following a restart.

I will try a restart. Here's what this looks like though: Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it. User uploaded file

May 4, 2016 3:31 PM in response to ember1205

Thank you for that suggestion, I just tried the "set up bluetooth" keyboard option to see if anything else was detected and it comes back with "no keyboard found".

I've tried the restart. I'm no longer getting the alert to replace or recharge and the only remaining thing is the funky battery life report at 17%, so essentially some combination of all of this worked to at least stop the message that was plaguing me.

Thank you all for your help. It looks like I just have some erroneous report function going on.

Bluetooth preferences it says my wireless mouse and keyboard are connected, by the way. So it is possible it is picking up a different device....it's just...I don't actually have a wireless keyboard anywhere near this computer.

May 4, 2016 3:52 PM in response to dialabrain

Wow, you guys are awesome. There must be a wireless keyboard somewhere in the house that was paired to this computer, because the battery life message of doom is gone after removing that. You're all awesome, thank you. I was NOT going to come up with that as a solution. Of course, I wonder where the heck the phantom keyboard is in my house, but that's not something you guys can solve.

User uploaded file

keyboard batteries low...but keyboard isn't wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.