Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Migration Assistant to transfer data, not working

Hello All,

I just got a new iMac running OS 10.11.4. I have an existing MBP mid 2009 running OS 10.9.5. Tried to use Migration Assistant to move the files from the MBP to the iMac. after 3 attempts I don't see the MPB files on the iMac. I've logged out and then in on the iMac and don't see the account from the MBP. What am I doing wrong? I've followed the steps in the Apple manual for Migration Assistant each time. Are there any issues between the two OS versions that won't allow me to transfer the files?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Migration assistant

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 4:13 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2016 4:29 PM in response to Peter M

Using Migration Assistant is extremely simple if you follow some basic rules. First Connect the Time Machine Backup External Hard Disk that you used on the MBP to the iMac via a USB cable. Do not connect ANY other way. Launch MA on the iMac, indicate you are migrating from a Time Machine backup and follow the on-screen prompts. It's that simple!

Using Migration Assistant to transfer data, not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.