Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore - Difference between erase (iPhone vs iTunes)

We (ChrisJ4203 and I) recently were involved in an issue where the person had difficulty with a car connection with Bluetooth after unlocking

Unlocked iphone 6 limitations

As we sifted through the issues - one thing struck me -

The person had used "Erase all contents and settings" command to restore the phone

Whenever I advise someone to do a restore - my reference is always to using iTunes

Hence the question - is there a difference - OR should there be a difference in the results produced by each?

(I was reading some old posts that lamented a lack of deep technical discussions so as this came up - thought I might ask around)

Thank you for any viewpoints you would care to provide

--MS

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:10 PM

I'll offer an opinion for what it's worth:

Let's first consider the restore from iTunes method. If we compare this to "erase all content and settings" followed by a restore from iTunes backup, I would say the difference is the restore from iTunes combines some steps for the user, so they don't have to execute each individually. Basically, iTunes restore packages several steps together - erase, then restore from backup.

A restore from iCloud has a much harder time doing this packaging, as one must first erase all content and settings to even be offered the option to restore an iCloud backup.

Finally, there is restore as new. There are two ways to do this: one from iTunes, and one from erase all content and settings. So I think the iTunes method is just there for completeness when choosing an iTunes restore, for the person may wish to restore as new, or restore from an iTunes backup.

Anyway, bottom line is in my opinion, there is no technical difference between results for any specific "restore from/as ...", only differences in packaging how to present the questions to the person doing the restore.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 5:10 PM in response to ManSinha

I'll offer an opinion for what it's worth:

Let's first consider the restore from iTunes method. If we compare this to "erase all content and settings" followed by a restore from iTunes backup, I would say the difference is the restore from iTunes combines some steps for the user, so they don't have to execute each individually. Basically, iTunes restore packages several steps together - erase, then restore from backup.

A restore from iCloud has a much harder time doing this packaging, as one must first erase all content and settings to even be offered the option to restore an iCloud backup.

Finally, there is restore as new. There are two ways to do this: one from iTunes, and one from erase all content and settings. So I think the iTunes method is just there for completeness when choosing an iTunes restore, for the person may wish to restore as new, or restore from an iTunes backup.

Anyway, bottom line is in my opinion, there is no technical difference between results for any specific "restore from/as ...", only differences in packaging how to present the questions to the person doing the restore.

Apr 30, 2016 4:02 PM in response to sberman

I've always believed from what I've read in other posts that Erase All Content and Settings does not erase the iOS. So, once at the Setup Assistant screen, if you set the device up as new, it just uses the existing iOS. To actually Restore to Factory, one can only do that via iTunes. It seems that the support document supports that theory, since it only shows restore to factory by using iTunes.

ManSinha, thank you for continuing the dialog on this, and maybe both of us can get a better understanding of the process of both iCloud and iTunes when it comes to a Restore to Factory.

Apr 30, 2016 4:08 PM in response to ManSinha

Good points about "Erase all content and settings" not updating the iOS.

I have always manually done the iOS updates before erase all content and settings, so I personally failed to consider this.

I even did this the day iOS 9.3.1 came out, which was the day I got the new iPad Pro and sold the iPad 3 it was replacing.

Restore - Difference between erase (iPhone vs iTunes)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.