Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes

Just to clarify for a complete novice, I have an iphone 5S that I am changing to an iphone 6se. The Mac is running 10.7.5 and my iphone 5s was running 9.3.1 and the iphone 6se is running the same. I have the up-to-date iTunes on my phones and my Mac has 12.2.2.25.

I get the error message "The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes". This is when I try and restore the new iphone 6se from back-up for the iphone 5S.

Is it right that actually it is the Mac's iOS that is the problem and I am being forced into using El Capitan??

Many thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), null

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 3:16 PM

In a sense yes - you have accurately diagnosed your problem

One needs at least 10.8.5 or higher Mac OS to install the correct version of iTunes

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/osx/upgrade/

All the best and please let us know of any questions

4 replies

The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.