Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest iPod Nano 7Gen. running different OS (1.0.4 & 1.1.1). Why?

I have two iPod Nano 7Gen. Both are the latest iterations, Space Gray & Dark Blue. iTunes is running 12.3.3.17, Space Grey running 1.0.4, Dark Blue is running 1.1.1. Shouldn't both iPods be running the same OS? iTunes says they're running the latest software versions. But something is not adding up. Yes, all updates are the latest updates. Even my Macbook Pro is running 10.11.4.

iPod nano, Other OS, iPod Nano 7Gen OS

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:44 PM

There are actually two releases of the 7th gen iPod nano. The are essentially the same, in terms of hardware and features, so Apple still calls them "7th gen." In 2015, Apple released new color choices. There was a minor update to the software, mostly to change the system requirements for the computer running iTunes. For Windows, the new ones require Windows 7 or later. For Mac, it's Lion (10.7.5) or later. And the corresponding more recent version of iTunes (or later).

That may be the reason for the difference is software version numbers. If iTunes says you have the latest available software for your iPod, you have the latest available software for your iPod.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 5:44 PM in response to cicoitaliano74

There are actually two releases of the 7th gen iPod nano. The are essentially the same, in terms of hardware and features, so Apple still calls them "7th gen." In 2015, Apple released new color choices. There was a minor update to the software, mostly to change the system requirements for the computer running iTunes. For Windows, the new ones require Windows 7 or later. For Mac, it's Lion (10.7.5) or later. And the corresponding more recent version of iTunes (or later).

That may be the reason for the difference is software version numbers. If iTunes says you have the latest available software for your iPod, you have the latest available software for your iPod.

May 1, 2016 7:26 PM in response to cicoitaliano74

Are you sure (they are both the 2015 version)? They are the same externally, except for some of the color choices. Maybe one came from older stock. Even the model number printed on the back appears to be the same.

Here are profile pages for both - http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1446

The one thing that is different is the "Order" number. MD481LL/A for the original, MKN52LL/A for 2015.

On my older 5th gen iPod nano, that identifier appears on the onboard Settings -> About screen. There are three About screens on my nano, and it's on the third one as the Model designation.

Latest iPod Nano 7Gen. running different OS (1.0.4 & 1.1.1). Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.