Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th Generation Nano, 2016 iTunes

I was recently visiting my parents when I found my old iPod Nano. Other than representing embarrassing high school music tastes, it's still perfectly good and I currently have it charging.

The problem is it won't connect to my computer. It's connected well enough to charge, but neither my computer or my iTunes are registering that it's connected.

Some stats:

The Grandfather iPod:

4th Generation iPod Nano, 8gbs.

The iTunes:

iTunes 12.3.3.17

64gb

The Computer:

Windows 10 Home, 10.0.10586 Build 10586

x64

AMD a10-6700 APU

I've tried resetting it and reconnecting the cord accordingly, but so far it just stays on its main screen with the menu and the judgmental pop punk album covers reminding me of my humiliating past.

iPod nano, Windows 10, 4th Generation iPod, iTunes 12.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 3:52 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2016 5:58 PM in response to raggediandi

When you connect it to your computer, watch the iPod's screen. Does it say "Do not disconnected" or "Connected" or give other indication of the connection? Or does it only show the battery charging symbol?

In case the USB docking cable is faulty (and only connecting for power), try a different cable (if you have one) or connect a different Apple device with the cable you have, to confirm the cable is good.

If you have access to another computer with iTunes installed (it can be a Mac), see if there is any difference when you connect it.

Try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

Run iTunes and connect iPod. Is there any difference when you connect the iPod in Disk Mode? If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore, which erases the iPod (and that evidence of musical bad taste).

Apr 30, 2016 9:27 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

1. It only shows the battery charging symbol.

2. I do not have a different cable/my other apple devices use the lightning cord

3. Tried it with my other computer, no difference.

4. Put it in Disk mode and same result; this time it said OK TO DISCONNECT with the charging icon.

I'm going to grab a cheap cord off of amazon or st and see what happens

Apr 30, 2016 9:50 PM in response to raggediandi

Seems like the iPod is only connecting for power, but not data. There are separate "pins" for power and data on the dock connector. The most likely causes are USB docking cable that is worn out (or damaged) at the dock connector and not making proper contact OR the problem could be on the iPod side of that connection. If you haven't ordered the spare cable yet, I bought this recently and it comes with a sturdy-looking 30-pin USB docking cable

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Belkin/F8Z981TTP/

Also, use a flashlight to see if you can find anything odd inside the iPod's dock connector, like damage, corrosion, or debris.

4th Generation Nano, 2016 iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.