Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing

I am using an Apple TV Model A1469 ( generation 3) with latest software 7.2.1 (8011). Setup has "home sharing" turned "on". I also have iTunes latest software update 12.3.3.17 installed on my computer. It has "home Sharing" turned "on". Both my Apple TV and wifi connected Windows 10 computer are on the same wireless network. When trying to do "home sharing" I have iTunes open on my computer as instructed. I can do all Apple TV functions except "home sharing". When I select "computer" icon on Apple TV I get the message " to access your iTunes library on Apple TV, turn on home sharing in iTunes on your computer using your username". Of course I have done all this and still can not view my iTunes library and/or photos/videos. There was "one" occasion that I was able to view these files; otherwise no luck in many many attempts.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in Advance

Don

iPad, Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11.0

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 4:33 PM

Don,

I had a similar experience using my iMac. I resolved it by turning off Home Sharing in iTunes, and then I quit iTunes. Next I opened iTunes and re-enabled Home Sharing.

User uploaded file

7 replies

Apr 30, 2016 4:49 PM in response to Don124

You may need to open certain ports used by Apple in the firewall on your Windows system (not in the router). Of course, you can ignore this if there is no firewall, or it doesn't block any connections. The ports are:

5353 UDP Bonjour

5000 TCP AirPlay Audio

6010-6012 UDP AirPlay Audio

7000 TCP AirPlay

7100 TCP AirPlay Mirroring

You should unblock these ports for both incoming and outgoing connections. The problem is that ATV needs to connect to iTunes components on these ports, and the firewall is keeping you safe by blocking connections.

Apr 30, 2016 6:22 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks for Port info. Since I did have the "one" experience of being able to view the files in "home sharing" I feel it may not a port issue, but I will try to find out how to unblock these ports on my windows 10 computer in hopes of solving this issue. Can you recommend a source of instruction to unblock these ports.

Again, thank you

May 1, 2016 7:40 AM in response to Don124

Your one successful experience was likely when ATV was running first. When iTunes started on your PC, it announced its services and that worked. The failures are likely when ATV needs to ask the PC for services, and cannot get through the firewall.

I can't help you with Windows 10. You'd need to find firewall settings, then advanced settings. There's some info on the web, but it does not seem to be specific to 10. Might be useful, though.

May 1, 2016 8:56 AM in response to Don124

II've had this problem on and off since the latest update and Iam using a i Mac sometimes when it works the photos don't display music movies are listed but no photos , going into iTunes again switching off home share , then switching it back in select photos or aperture apply gets it working til the next time lol I think it's the latest software or aptv 4 very rarely had this in my aptv 3 lets hope it gets fixed soon along with the aptv slideshows that repeat every 30 sh photos out of 13k sometimes like yourself it asks to switch in home sharing in iTunes

May 1, 2016 10:01 AM in response to foxcub 6

Hello Foxcub,

Have you tried opening the referenced ports in the iMac firewall? The full list of ports is TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

You might also post your OS X version.

As I mentioned, it works when you enable sharing with ATV running, because iTunes broadcasts the services it offers. It fails when ATV starts after iTunes because it cannot request the services fromiTunes due to blocking by the firewall. This may have just come up due to an OS update.

Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.