Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is replacing a hard drive for an SSD always worth it?

Yesterday I replaced the hard drive for an SSD in my Mac Mini late 2014 (mine is the lowest range of the latest mac minis, with 4GB non-upgradable RAM), I had to take apart the whole machine, which wasn't easy at all. I measured the transfer speed with Blackmagic Disk Speed test and found the speed increase a meager 50MBps (from 98 MBps to 149 MBps). I was a little disappointed. I expected a much bigger increase. I hope I'm wrong somehow.

Would the speed be much higher with a more powerful processor or more memory?

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 4:34 PM

12 replies

Apr 30, 2016 6:51 PM in response to rodion15

HD-to-SSD change has other effects. HDs are spinning platters with a read/write head seeking much of the time. SSDs have faster seek times because of direct addressing. Also the "swap file" that used to be moved to/from in addition to the R/W-head seeks is changed to direct-access R/W of an SSD.

Startup should be faster, and opening applications should be faster.

May 4, 2016 4:11 AM in response to rodion15

This doesn't really solve your problem, but as a reference, I have a Kingston v300

SSDNow drive installed in my 2011 Mini Server. I get reads ranging from 300-450

megabytes/second writes ranging from 180-250 megabytes/second. One thing, these

are not the speediest SSDs on the market, but are faster than an HDD.

Something to note, running the speed test on an active boot volume (depending on the app)

can give wildly variable results as it will typically be competing with other system accesses.

I ran the test multiple tomes to get the range that I reported.

If possible, you may want to create a clone to an external drive, boot to it, and then redo the test.

May 5, 2016 4:23 AM in response to woodmeister50

Thanks mate. Well, I ran the test as you say also, from an external hard drive and the internal SSD as target, same result. These are the specs of the mac mini:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 1.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: MM71.0220.B06

SMC Version (system): 2.24f32

May 5, 2016 10:51 AM in response to rodion15

As already mentioned something is wrong. You should try to update the firmware if a newer one is available. If you cannot get it faster you should return it and/or get a warranty replacement.

BTW, you should enable TRIM. In Terminal, issue the command "sudo trimforce enable". You will have to enter your password. Afterwards TRIM should be enabled also on 3rd-party SSD drives, which you should see in System Profiler as "TRIM Support: Yes".

Is replacing a hard drive for an SSD always worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.