Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“?” Folder icon flashing

I have an early 2009 mini 3.1- I erased the drive (an OWC SSD) and now I can see only the file with ? icon. how do I boot up from the original instal dvd?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:02 PM

12 replies

Apr 30, 2016 5:47 PM in response to macjack

thanks. I erased my drive in disk utility, planning to reinstall El Cap, but now all I see is this file icon (?) flashing, no matter what key combo I restart with. I tried restarting with the 10.5.6 DVD (and key “C” pressed) as well as trying the recovery modes. I did not erase the recovery partition, at least not intentionally…

Apr 30, 2016 9:25 PM in response to macjack

I seem to have posted this question twice, sorry

I did try to boot from the instal DVD, that is where I am stuck. I put the DVD in, started up with "c" pressed and .... nothing.

I tried a few other key combos at start up, nothing but the "question mark folder icon" - I could not get back to the rescue partition or an online rescue partition either.. I have an Apple USB DVD reader, I will try that in case the DVD slot is the problem.

What else might I be doing wrong?

Thanks

Tom

May 1, 2016 12:58 AM in response to bagginsatwelldotcom

Likely the optical drive in the Mini has died. I had a late 2009 Mini and the optical drive failed about 3 years ago.

The Apple USB SuperDrive will not work on your Mini (and other Macs which came with an intern optical drive). See the following for more information. there is a way to use the SuperDrive but not for booting I think

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20111107064435227

Are you using a USB keyboard? Sometimes you can't use the special bootups with a wireless keyboard.

You are saying that yo can't boot to Recovery?

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

You needed Lion or later on the Mac

Do you have another Mac?

May 5, 2016 4:19 PM in response to lllaass

I don't think the issue is the dvd drive as I tried with a usb peripheral apple Superdrive with no luck

I am using a USB keyboard and mouse, startup key combos seem ineffective. The icon of a an empty folder emblazoned with a question mark flashes at me no matter what I do.

Have I bricked this for good?

This machine was running El Capitan, I reinstalled the OS with the rescue partition but that did not resolve my issue so I wanted to erase and install. somehow I lost the rescue partition to, I guess.

I have other Macs, If I could get this into target disc mode life would be divine, I think it has firewire 8oo.....

May 6, 2016 1:19 AM in response to bagginsatwelldotcom

You really need to use a USB keyboard, as wireless keyboards will not work correctly. You can even use a PC keyboard. Just hold down the Option key, or, on a PC keyboard: the Alt key. This should let you select the boot drive. Then you can boot from CD or any internal or external drive.

If you have an external HDD with Mac OS X on it, you should also be able to boot from it with this method, provided it is connected via FireWire to the Mac. I don’t know if USB also works, but maybe you’re lucky and it does… From there you can try to install Mac OS X as well. Just select the internal volume as target. Naturally you will need to use Disk Utility first to partition the internal drive.

Good luck!

“?” Folder icon flashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.