Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steam compatible Mac controller?

I have an iMac 5K. Been searching Amazon and a few gaming controller maker sites, but I'm seeing very very very few Mac compatible controllers. I'm also wanting something that isn't like the PS3 or Xbox controllers. Something better designed, since both cause my hands to cramp after a short time of use. Also want it to work with Steam.

Any suggestions?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:12 PM

3 replies

May 6, 2016 10:06 PM in response to Cruciarius

To put it simply, your best options boil down to the Logitech F series, a Dual Shock 3, a Wii remote or the Xbox 360 wireless controller. Only the Logitech pad is supported natively in OS X. The other devices will require their own third-party drivers that are not officially supported in OS X. The Xbox 360 controller in particular requires TattieBogle. In geneal, you can try to use Joystick Mapper or Game Companion (the latter is in the Mac App Store) to get the aforementioned controllers to work in OS X.

Be cautioned however that even if you get a controller to be recognized by OS X, the greater hurdle will be the kind of support offered by the developer of a given game. For example, Star Wars the Force Unleashed only supports the Xbox 360 controller, even though it is not a natively supported controller in OS X. Even worse, only the wireless Xbox 360 controller is supported.

Your best bet is to evaluate your entire library of games and select the controller most commonly supported. Sadly, the controller situation in OS X is less about your preference of form factor and more about finding out what works with the most games.

Best of luck

Steam compatible Mac controller?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.