Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP heats up while running VMware Fusion

I have purchased a 15" MBP(MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Core i7 2.5GHz, 16GB DDR3) in Jan 2016. Now a days, while I am running VMware Fusion (Guest OS: Windows 10, 4 GB) and Visual Studio 2015 inside, MBP is getting heated up fast. Precisely, the thin body part between display and keyboard is immensely hot. I have yet measured the temperature at that time (Which software is reliable for this purpose?).

I am just wondering if this heat-up is normal. I perfectly understand that running a VM is CPU intensive. But, I have never seen my newly purchased MBP to heat up so much. I don't have access to any MBP with similar configuration. Can anybody give me the temperature they experience while running Fusion with similar giuest doing similar job so that I can compare mine? May be I am getting too paranoid, but since I spent out a whole lot of bucks to purchase such high-end a machine, I though of asking the community. Kindly extend help to figure out if there's any issue.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Core i7 2.5GHz, 16GB DDR3

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:29 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2016 7:45 PM in response to Holmes.Sherlock

Yes, completely normal, more so if you're running intensive tasks on both systems concurrently. Be sure to provision the VM adequately: maybe a bit more RAM and a few more CPU cores to spread the load. All my MBP's where I've used Fusion or any other hypervisor (4 and counting, latest a top-end Mid-2015 15") will run hot during the event. Just ensure there's ample ventilation all around to enhance cooling; I always have mine on laptop stands that lift them a bit above the desk and make sure there's nothing around the side and back vents.

The only utility I've found capable of consistently reading all sensor outputs, temp and fans included, is Bjango's iStat Menus. They give a 15 day trial period.

Apr 30, 2016 10:53 PM in response to Holmes.Sherlock

I believe that would run counter to the general minimalist design philosophy, in that the user can concentrate on the desired results, rather than having to worry on the minutiæ of how to get there. Lofty goals, but we know computers, no matter how pricey, don't yet let you do that. But don't think that the design engineers blithely go about ignoring these details: should any of the many CPU/GPU sensors go overboard (>= 100C) the system WILL protect itself and shut down.

MBP heats up while running VMware Fusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.