Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Doesn't Import PhotoLibrary on Local or External Hard Drive

I am using the latest version of iMovie 10.1.2 to import some videos and photos from my Photo Libraries (myFile.photoslibrary) and cannot get iMovie to import any of the media either by dragging and dropping or by selecting "Import Media...." from the main menu bar at the top of the application. When trying to do this the myFile.photoslibrary libraries show up in the iMovie browser but they are grey'd out.

I like the new interface on iMovie but I ALWAYS experience this import issue whenever I go to use iMove and have not used it in a while.

So my questions are:

1. iMovie Import Media Broken
    Why are the myFile.photoslibrary library files on in my local "Pictures" folder on my hard drive grey'd out when trying to import them (or drag n' drop them) into iMovie?
  2. External Drive myFile.photoslibrary Media Imports to iMovie
    Can I setup an alias to myFile.photoslibrary libraries on external hard drives or drag n' drop these to import into iMovie? Or, is it the case that iMovie does not support media on external drives and each time I want to use media from an external drive I need to copy GIGABYTES worth of Photos and Movies data (temporarily) from the external drive to my internal drive just to do the iMovie project?

I am trying to do a project quickly and would appreciate any comments on resolving [1] and [2].

Thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 5, MacOS X

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:56 PM

10 replies

Apr 30, 2016 6:39 PM in response to Robert Stephens

One update to this post (and now a question [3])

After selecting "Use as system photo library" from within the General tab (command ,) in the Photo's app I am now able to see media within iMovie even with the "myFile.photoslibrary" being on an external hard drive. So this appears to have answered questions [1] and [2].

However, I now have questions [3a] and [3b]:

• [3a] if I am working on a project that uses multiple "myFile.photoslibrary" library archives can I include media from more than one archive in iMovie or is there only a single "one to one" mapping between a "myFile.photoslibrary" archive and an iMovie project because selecting "Use as system photo library" from within the General tab is the only way to have iMovie discover media?
  • [3b] does importing the media into an iMovie project remain persistent for each "Use as system photo library" from within the General tab?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2016 8:41 PM in response to Robert Stephens

Ok, looks answer answers to [3a] and [3b] are that iMovie is only capable of looking at one myFile.photoslibrary at a time and that myFile.photoslibrary file bundle needs to reside on the internal hard drive of the Mac you are using. If you want to use media from more than one archive you need to export the content rom each myFile.photoslibrary and combine the subset of media you want to use for your iMovie into a new subset-of-myFiles-from-different-libraries.photoslibrary and place that file bundle on the internal hard drive. I have a (somewhat) efficient process for doing this - if anyone is interested I can post the process.

Also, if anyone from Apple has any comments on the above summary and overall process for making an iMovie from multiple PhotoLibraries that would be great.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2016 11:13 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Actually as I explained above I do no accept this as the solution to the problem. If end users have many different photos and movies that they have grouped into different myFile.photoslibrary files then unless you follow the process I describe above they cannot create an iMovie from events that span multiple myFile.photoslibrary groups - in short this implies that the end users need make sure all the media they want for any possible project in the future is in the same photos library library today, meaning put every photo and movie you have ever taken into the same photo library.

There are a few options (one mentioned above) for approaching this iMovie use case in a better way.

May 1, 2016 3:41 PM in response to Robert Stephens

I take your point, however even in Photos App you can only view media in one library at a time and yet you would like iMovie to show you media in all libraries if I understand correctly. iPhoto was the same way. iMovie only showed media from the open iPhoto library. Perhaps your issue is with the design of Photos as opposed to iMovie. We are users here in this forum so I would suggest you make your comments and recommendations to Apple. In iMovie in the iMovie menu there is a link to send comments to Apple.

May 2, 2016 4:20 AM in response to StingFish76

Thanks for your feedback guys - I shall provide feedback to Apple although I'm sure they read these posts so that may be redundant. In the mean time if anyone wants to be more productive with multi-archive Photos libraries being used to make a single movie in iMovie

1. Create a folder on your local drive (let's call this folder mediaForMovie)
  2. Simply use the Apple Photos app to browse for the media you want in each photos archive
  3. Each time you find a photo you want export it to the folder in (1) above
  4. Each time you find a movie you want use the "get info" menu item to get the file name for this movie - then in the Finder (file system) select "show package contents for the Photos archive you are currently using, navigate to the "Masters" folder & search for the file name you just did the "get info" on & copy this .MOV movie file to the folder in (1) above.
  5. When you are done with steps (2)-(4) go to iMovie & import media from the folder in (1) above to have the media from multiple Photos archives for making your movie.

SInce this worked I'll (1)-(5) this answer solved my issue ;-)

Thanks

May 2, 2016 4:52 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

. iMovie will only show media from the Photos Library designated as the system library. If you want to use media from a different photos library you have to make it the system library.

That can be really inconvenient, if the System Photo Library is an iCloud Photo Library. Only the System Photo Library can sync with iCloud, and switching between libraries as System Photo Library will make iCloud upload all photos again. That can take weeks for large photo libraries. my last attempt to switch between System Photo Libraries resulted in a new upload of 40000 photos to iCloud, and took one week.

All photos to be used with the media browser should really be in the same library when using Photos for Mac, at least, when using iCloud with Photos as well. That used to be much easier with iPhoto or Aperture.

May 2, 2016 4:57 AM in response to Robert Stephens

You could simplify the steps 1-4 a bit, if you invest into PowerPhotos. This neat little tool lets you browse Photos Librarries without having to launch the Photos.app for each library. You can browse the libraries in list view with titles, captions, filenames etc. showing.

The free trial version is already very convenient, and the full, paid version lets you move photos between libraries.

Fat Cat Software – PowerPhotos

The manual is here: https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/Help/table%20of%20contents.html

iMovie Doesn't Import PhotoLibrary on Local or External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.