Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphoneS called 911 by itself

Anyone else experience Iphone 6S dialing 911 by itself?

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 4:26 PM

My iphone SE also just dialed 9-1-1 by itself.

It was not in my pocket. My iphone was just sitting on my bed face up.

It was already powered on.

It was plugged in to USB being charged from an Apple charging block.

It was connected to WIFI in my home.

It also was also connected to a Big Blue Mini wireless speaker via Bluetooth.

The TV was on although I don't think the TV said SIRI dail 911. (The senate confirmation hearings of the Trump nominee of the AG and Ted Cruz was talking on CNN).

I did received a text message from a family member who is saved as an I.C.E. contact at the same time.

If any has figured out what might cause the the iphone to dail 9-1-1 by itself, please let me know so I can prevent it in the future.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2017 4:26 PM in response to Charrison49

My iphone SE also just dialed 9-1-1 by itself.

It was not in my pocket. My iphone was just sitting on my bed face up.

It was already powered on.

It was plugged in to USB being charged from an Apple charging block.

It was connected to WIFI in my home.

It also was also connected to a Big Blue Mini wireless speaker via Bluetooth.

The TV was on although I don't think the TV said SIRI dail 911. (The senate confirmation hearings of the Trump nominee of the AG and Ted Cruz was talking on CNN).

I did received a text message from a family member who is saved as an I.C.E. contact at the same time.

If any has figured out what might cause the the iphone to dail 9-1-1 by itself, please let me know so I can prevent it in the future.

Nov 27, 2017 1:14 PM in response to Charrison49

My brand-new 8 Plus called 911 twice today while it was in my purse as I was walking around at Ikea. I hung up. It said, "Initiating calling emergency contacts." I hung up. On each occasion, the Sheriff's office called me back. Neither they nor I should be bothered by this "feature" of iPhones. Apple, this is really a dumb feature and should be something you can enable, not something you have to disable after bothering Emergency Services with problems caused by a stupid phone.

Jan 10, 2018 6:50 AM in response to Charrison49

I was listening to music last night on Youtube, and my IPhone 6S was a few feet away on my night stand and I was laying on my bed. Out of nowhere, my music stopped for no reason then a little alarm sounded. I then looked at my phone and it had dialed 911 for no reason. This is obviously a problem, if I had already fallen asleep to my music, I would have been rudely awoken by the police busting down my door. So what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Mar 5, 2018 7:58 AM in response to Charrison49

This just happened to me last night. I was in New York City in Port Authority getting on the bus. Either my phone or my watch automatically SOS emergency texted my husband and my daughter. Needless to say it freaked them both out, I had absolutely no idea it was happening until I got a call from my daughter crying hysterically. After I hung up from my daughter, I felt something on my wrist and my watch was doing it again. Ironically just this past Friday we switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. So I’m not sure if switching carriers has screwed stuff up on my phone and my watch.

Apr 30, 2016 6:28 PM in response to Charrison49

Although we get stray comments about "pocket dialing" I admit I have never seen a 911 call before

Can you please give us some additional information?

- Was the phone in a purse or computer bag?

- Was it completely turned off or had just hung up a call?

- If on the road - was maps running or any other app that would keep the screen active?

Dec 4, 2016 12:33 AM in response to Charrison49

Yes I had just had the same problem with my iphone5s from T-Mobile! T-Mobile states that it is apples problem but what I had found out is when your iPhone dose an auto update on the cell phone data service it my scramble the files a little bit so the easy fix is to plug your iPhone into a comepiter and download the latest iPhone iOS software and have iTunes install it on to your phone! In my case my phone installed apples new update for iOS and we had a power serge sometime around 2 am and my phone went from wifi to 4g lte and the next day my phone was all messed up! The little Siri microphone button located next to the emoji and space bar would activate it self and it wouldn't stop sending people's in my contacts every word I had said or any noise it my register as a word! I took it into T-Mobile and they said it was a problem with apple! I had made an appointment to have it looked at and finally it had just stoped doing it! People I'm my contact list had been sent novels that where longer than the complete Harry Potter hard cover books! Then all the sudden the police showed up at my door and had said they kept receiving repeated phone calls from me and I was clueless to what was going on! So I called my cell phone company and they where supposed to send me a new replacement phone the next day and somehow they never sent it and now it was the weekend and I was stuck with This phone that would not stop calling 911 even if it was turned off, or if the SIM card was removed. If you have any wifi calling on your phone this will also interferes with the phone updates so make sure when you reset your phone to disable the wifi calling feature on your iPhone and you will no longer have this 911 calling

Problem! For the tmobile customers I must tell you good luck because it took me over 12 consecutive hours before T-Mobile did any thing but hang up and put me on hold because there call center staff is very unknowledgeable when it comes to fixing your phones! I ended up switching to sprint because my phone wouldn't stop and I ended up getting a fine because I asked the T-Mobile employee I had on the phone to talk to the police officer and due to the T-Mobile employees not properly being trained I never got my new phone and I got a big old fine for improper use of a 911 call center because they will promise you a phone super fast by it never gets mailed out because they neglect to inform you about there forum that need to be signed and if they tell you that they will give you a account credit so you can go pick up a phone from a store instead they are literally lieing to you because the credit can only be used to pay your T-Mobile bill and then you ask them to refund your card and they will tell you that there system is not able to refund cards. So if this ever happens to you on T-Mobiles supper slow 4g network may god be with you because you will most likely end up in jail because of there rude call center staff! They just don't care like they use to

My iphoneS called 911 by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.