Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where have all my templates gone?

My Pages and Numbers templates are in hiding!

I wanted to remove a template from the My Templates in Pages. I have always been able to access those files by Option clicking on Go in the top menu bar, selecting Library > Application Support > iWork > Pages (or Numbers), and then I could drag the old template to the trash.

But now both Numbers and Pages show the Template files, including My Templates, as empty. There is nothing in either folder.

If I create a new document in either Pages or Numbers, a basic template pops up that I can use.

How can I find the templates? Or restore them?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:05 PM

Hi Cutter,

If you are using Pages 5, there is no need to search your Library for templates. Pages 5, by default, opens the Template Chooser

User uploaded file

If that does not work, then your Pages Preferences may be set to open a chosen template:

User uploaded file

Hold down the option (alt) key to see 'New' in the File menu change to 'New From Template Chooser'.

In Template Chooser, right click (or control click) on a Custom Template (My Templates).

User uploaded file

Choose Rename or Delete.

Ditto for Numbers 3.

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 1:05 PM in response to Cutter6666

Hi Cutter,

If you are using Pages 5, there is no need to search your Library for templates. Pages 5, by default, opens the Template Chooser

User uploaded file

If that does not work, then your Pages Preferences may be set to open a chosen template:

User uploaded file

Hold down the option (alt) key to see 'New' in the File menu change to 'New From Template Chooser'.

In Template Chooser, right click (or control click) on a Custom Template (My Templates).

User uploaded file

Choose Rename or Delete.

Ditto for Numbers 3.

Regards,

Ian.

May 1, 2016 1:05 PM in response to Cutter6666

1. If you had an existing iWork '09 installation, and upgraded (not a clean install) OS X, your original iWork '09 template hierarchy and your custom templates would remain in their original locations.
  2. If you wiped your hard drive as part of an OS X installation, and followed that by a reinstallation of the iWork '09 applications, then your custom templates would be gone. If you restored from a Time Machine backup that did not include your custom '09 templates, then this too would explain their absence.
  3. If you migrated to a new Mac, and reinstalled the iWork '09 applications, then you would not have any custom templates present, unless you thought to put them on a USB stick and migrated them to the current template hierarchy.

The first installation of Pages v5, Numbers v3, and Keynote v6 would check for the presence of custom iWork '09 templates, and providing they were compatible, the new applications would convert and copy these custom templates into the respective new application template locations. Unlike the iWork '09 applications, their newer counterparts permit a right-click on custom templates where you can choose to rename or delete them.

Where have all my templates gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.