Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the internal drive on my MacBook Pro and not lose account info?

I want to put a larger internal drive in my 2012 MacBook Pro. I know the basics of installation of the hardware. But I am concerned about transferring the data and restoring my account. I have the data backed up on external drive but I did not use Time Machine, so some of it may be missing. I have read other posts but they are not up-to-date. OS 10.11.4 El Capitan

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 1 TB HD, 8 GB RAM, 2.7 Ghz Intel

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:22 PM

Use an external enclosure (I use this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/) to mount the new drive. Use CarbonCopyClone ($40, bombich.com) to duplicate the internal drive, including the boot sector and recovery partition. Test boot off of it, then transplant when the external boots satisfactorily (if not in speed).

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 8:22 PM in response to akindword4u

Use an external enclosure (I use this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/) to mount the new drive. Use CarbonCopyClone ($40, bombich.com) to duplicate the internal drive, including the boot sector and recovery partition. Test boot off of it, then transplant when the external boots satisfactorily (if not in speed).

May 2, 2016 11:40 AM in response to steve359

I have a couple of external drives I use for back up. I have two because one crashed before so I don't want to have that same problem. Anyway when I was copying files, there were some that would not copy… I don't remember the reason. Is there a way to make a clone without using the carbon copy application? It is not my desire to keep the one I am replacing up-to-date. I just want a larger workspace.

May 2, 2016 11:51 AM in response to akindword4u

There are only two ways to replace the hard drive so that all your data and configuration information is on the new drive. 1) migrate from a specific kind of backup or 2) use a cloning program to make a duplicate of the drive. For #1 to work you need a TimeMachine backup, a clone of the drive, or the original drive itself. It sounds like your only source will be the internal drive so you’ll need a decent enclosure or dock for the current internal drive. Since it sounds like you want to swap for a larger drive you should be good to go for either the clone or the migration.

The migration route starts by downloading and installing the operating system onto the new drive and then during the normal installation process you are asked if you want to migrate data. You’d answer yes and at this time indicate the source drive. This method has the advantage of creating a recovery partition during the OS installation process. Method #2, if you purchase CarbonCopyCloner, will also create the recovery partition but CCC is the only cloning program I know of that does this. If you use SuperDuper! (another good cloning program) if you want the recovery partition (and you really do) you have to install the OS after you’ve finished the clone process.

Note: for either method I prefer to install the new drive in the dock/enclosure and do the restore/migration/clone process first. Then I boot with the external drive to make sure everything worked. Only then do I put the new drive into the computer. It is rare but sometimes you get a bad drive or the copy process goes awry. It is easier and safer to get the new drive working first before installing it in the computer.

May 2, 2016 6:43 PM in response to dwb

There is a third way, but it does not eliminate the need to have the old drive present.

That is a clean Install on the new drive. When you start the newly-installed Mac OS X, it will ask if you want to use an existing set of "stuff" including Accounts and user data, or set up a new Account from scratch. That "stuff" can be just the User files, or Files and Applications, from a Time Machine backup, but it could also be "stuff" on another drive that is available at that moment. This use is referred to as Setup Assistant transfer.

(you may also see reference to a Migration Assistant transfer, which can happen later, but can also be more complex.)

May 3, 2016 2:25 AM in response to akindword4u

It won't affect it at all. If you use the clone or restore method your new drive will be an exact duplicate of the old and you'll just have to run the App Store program to update. If you use the migration method the new drive will have the new OS and set up assistant Will only transfer your data and applications.

How do I change the internal drive on my MacBook Pro and not lose account info?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.