Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am very frustrated by the complete impossiblity to organise folders in Safari.

I am very frustrated by the complete impossibility to organize folders in Safari.

It would be nice if Apple simply designed the Bookmarks in Safari to work pretty much the same as folders do in Finder. A simple feature you would think but apparently a glaring omission by Apple.

- No automatic alphabetical organisation

- A folder will drop inside another folder when you manually try and reposition it to the (correct) alphabetical location in the bookmarks list no matter how carefully you reposition it between two existing folders.

I have used Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer and Safari in my experience is the worst for any attempt at organising bookmarks. I am seriously considering giving up on Safari, installing Chrome and transferring over all the bookmarks from Safari to Chrome.

Is there an App (**preferably free) that can organise bookmarks ?? I've looked at the App Store and I can't find one.

Thanks.

(** I paid a lot of money for my Macbook Pro and I don't see why I should have to pay more money for what Safari should do anyway)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 9:56 PM

Try SafariSort. It is a free app.

http://www.safarisort.com/

8 replies

Apr 30, 2016 7:54 PM in response to Chris_Sutton1964

As regards repositioning of folders and bookmarks, the only way that seems to work is to open the left hand pane ( ' Bookmarks / show bookmarks ' ) and do it in that pane.

Clicking on ' Edit bookmarks ' works for renaming bookmarks / creating and deleting bookmarks but nothing else.

That's my experience anyway.

I'm still ****** at Apple but not as much as I have a solution of sorts.

Apr 30, 2016 8:15 PM in response to Chris_Sutton1964

As regards repositioning of folders and bookmarks, the only way that seems to work is to open the left hand pane ( ' Bookmarks / show bookmarks ' ) and do it in that pane.

The Sidebar, what you call left pane, is for accessing saved bookmarks, history and Reader items,

To manage and organize bookmarks, select Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks. In the resulting window you can drag bookmarks and folders around, move folders into other folders, add new folders, and Yes, rename bookmarks and folders. It's a fully enabled Bookmarks Editor.

Apr 30, 2016 8:58 PM in response to Rysz

What you are recommending ( ' Edit Bookmarks ' ) does not work - not for me anyway. I've tried it several times so I DO know and I've got the latest version of Safari on a Macbook Pro only three months old.

What I said above is correct. If I go to ' Edit Bookmarks ' and try repositioning folders it will drop the folder I am moving into one of the two folders closest to the location I am trying to reposition it to.....almost every time. It suukks

Actually I downloaded ' Safarisort ' which sorts the bookmarks and bookmark folders alphabetically in one click. I've used it and recommend it to others.

The only other alternative is using the sidebar (left pane) to reposition them.

Apr 30, 2016 9:05 PM in response to Chris_Sutton1964

If I go to ' Edit Bookmarks ' and try repositioning folders it will drop the folder I am moving into one of the two folders closest to the location I am trying to reposition it to.....almost every time. .

If you want to drag a golfer in between two other folders, Greg it with the mouse pointer slightly to the left of the folders. You'll see the insertion line with a small square on the left side, showing exactly where the dragged folder will be moved to.

Apr 30, 2016 9:31 PM in response to Rysz

I do see what you mean in that when you click on a folder and drag it up or down the list the tiny circle (looks like a circle to me rather than a square) shifts slightly to the left or right.

Release with it to the left and it repositions it between the folders. Release it to the right and it puts the folder inside the folder directly above.

It's subtle and not very clear or obvious.

'golfer' ? 'Greg' ? You've been watching too much Greg Norman 😁

I am very frustrated by the complete impossiblity to organise folders in Safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.