Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to figure out my home network situation

Hello There,

I am having a little problem trying to figure out how to delegate my home network ever since I started working out of the house. I have only the internet (100 Mbps) with no cable so I stream all my shows thru various apps on two smart TVs. I also have a 7 year old who plays xbox live, I have some home automation (6 phillips hues lights, 3 iHome plugs, Schlage Deadbolt, Canary camera, and Ecobee Thermostat with 3 sensors) 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs, 1 macbook pro, 1 desktop computer and 1 iMac. Right now I have the newest Airport Extreme hooked up to my modem, with phillips hues switch, Samsung Smart TV and and an Airport Express (Bridge Mode). I have the canary camera and one of the Apple Tvs hooked up to the express.In the bedroom, I have another Airport Express which I have my Sony Smart TV hooked up to as extended network that is Hidden (I am the only one who uses that for my iPhone). I also have one of the Apple TVs hooked up to it. In the kids bedroom, he has the Xbox One hooked up and either streaming videos or playing games. I always know when he is on the Xbox because of the lag in either the living room TV (The Samsung) or the desktop computer.

My house is fairly small, 950 sq feet, ranch style house made of brick. The downstairs is being renovated to become half of my office. i am seeing if I can do anything to speed my internet up. Right now, I am only pulling in, 50 Mbps, when I should be around 70 or higher.

I was looking at getting the Netgear Nighthawk Router or a Linksys router and using the Aiport Extreme as a switch. I have my office right now set up in the living room and I am thinking of moving the modem to my desk (10 feet away from its current spot) so I can have my VOIP phone/fax hooked up to the modem and then have my desktop hooked up directly to the router via ethernet cable.

I am trying to figure this out and it has been bothering me a lot, do any of you have an idea of what would be the best possible set up?

Thank you I appreciate your help and time.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.2.1, Apple HomeKit

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:00 PM

7 replies

Apr 30, 2016 11:40 PM in response to Mizzou11

Ethernet is always better.

If you are renovating the house get ethernet installed in the walls and several points around the house.. you will be amazed at the difference.

For wireless usage never ever repeat.. but you can use several Wireless Access Points. (apple routers setup for wireless only is fine).

I was looking at getting the Netgear Nighthawk Router or a Linksys router

These will have superior wireless range cf the apple.. but you still do not want to extend wireless.. if the signal is not good enough.. and when you have lots of brick walls that is very likely to happen.. then have ethernet and another WAP.

Read the basic how to have good wireless all over a house..

Whole house wireless.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/31576-the-best-way-to-get- whole-house-wireless-coverage

May 1, 2016 7:23 AM in response to LaPastenague

I actual just decided to do it this way. What would be the best router to use for it? Also if it is suggested the Airport Extreme is there best one, what would be a good switch? Right now the internet wire comes from the the garage which is on the left side of the house, the cable is stapled to the garage ceiling and then dropped down the side of there wall into the living room. I was thinking of setting up a patch panel in the laundry room in the basement (which is only 10 feet from where the internet cord comes into the house at in the upstairs.)

Would this be the ideal way to go? From there patch panel I would then distribute the ethernet cords to each room.

May 1, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Mizzou11

I was thinking of setting up a patch panel in the laundry room in the basement (which is only 10 feet from where the internet cord comes into the house at in the upstairs.)

Would this be the ideal way to go? From there patch panel I would then distribute the ethernet cords to each room.

This would pretty much follow along with the SmallNetBuilder article that LaPastenague has provided you.

This is similar to what I have set up at my home. I am using a wired-only Cisco router as my "main" router which is directly connected to my ISP-provided modem. In turn, the Cisco is connected to a patch panel which distributes the Internet connection to various rooms in my house. I then use a number of AirPort base stations, configured for a roaming network, to provide wireless throughout.

May 1, 2016 8:58 AM in response to Mizzou11

Awesome thank you.

Where would be the best place to put the patch panel and main router at? The cable comes through the wall on the other side of the entertainment system. On the other side of the wall is the garage. This has been bothering me for months now, and I finally have a reason to do this now. Right now my office is in the living room which you see is not large. I was thinking of putting the patch panel in the laundry room which is where the entertainment system is but on the left side of the house (so about 15 feet or so). Once I have the basement completed my office will be on the complete other side of the house in the basement.

Should I put the main router where my office phone and fax are which is on my desk for right now or leave it on the entertainment system?

User uploaded file

I appreciate all your input guys!

May 1, 2016 11:53 AM in response to Mizzou11

Where would be the best place to put the patch panel and main router at? The cable comes through the wall on the other side of the entertainment system. On the other side of the wall is the garage.

I would suggest placing both the main router and patch panel together in an electrical panel-type outlet in the garage.

User uploaded file

Above is a photo of mine. I included labels to help identify the components that make up my network hardware. The switch was added to provide additional Ethernet ports for the panel. The modem is provided by my ISP that is providing microwave Internet service. The patch panel is wired to Ethernet runs throughout the house.

May 1, 2016 3:20 PM in response to Tesserax

OK thank you. My company is paying for the equipment, so what would be a decent set up. Would the Netgear Nighthawk be too much, I have a 950 sq ft , and that's rated for 5400 sq ft if I'm correct. The house is a brick ranch house with only 1 floor (5 rooms including bathroom) on upper and the basement is about to get remodeled so I'll have to put a few wall ports in down there. I will use some of my airport expresses and extreme as roaming networks.

I was planning on getting 2-4ports, 2-2ports, 2 phone ports, for the wall. Router I'm on the fence about. Everything else I should be good.

1) living room

Samsung Smart TV

Apple TV

Phillips Hue Lights

Canary Camera

2) living room (temporary office)

Desk top computer

Phone and Fax (I will need to get a phone line port)

MacBook pro

Printer/Scanner

1.) Master bedroom

Sony Smart TV

Apple TV

2.) Kids Bedroom

Xbox One

iMac

Do you think this is the most efficient setup for me? Sorry for all the questions, just did a massive outdoor project and didn't do any research beforehand and cost me 3 weeks of extra work to get it right. I have been around the Internet with rebukding computers when I was younger so I feel confident I can do this, jist want to make sure I have all the right equipment.

Need to figure out my home network situation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.