Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch from one apple ID on two iPhones to two apple ID's

Hello,

So here is the thing. I have two iPhone 3gs phones right now. One has an AT&T sim card and the other has an international sim card. They are both going to be upgraded to an unlocked iPhone 5. I have never backed up either to an iTunes.

BOTH iPhone 3gs are logged into one apple ID. I want to change it so each one has a separate apple ID. So one phone will keep the same apple ID but the other will need a new one?

BUT, the most important thing for me is when I switch one of the iPhones to a new apple ID, that I DO NOT lose my messages or contacts! I found info online about switching ID's and that you have an option to keep your contacts. But I can't find anything relevant to whether I will keep or lose my messages. I don't think either iPhone 3gs has iMessage because texts I send out show up as green, rather than blue, but I am not sure.

I have no idea how to go about this and would greatly appreciate some help! Thank you!

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:17 PM

2 replies

May 1, 2016 9:32 PM in response to bellacantabeauty

Your first priority is to create at least one iPhone backup. Choose whether to back up to iTunes or iCloud. If you think of one of the two iPhones as the primary one and the other as the secondary, make sure the primary one is backed up.

bellacantabeauty wrote:

BUT, the most important thing for me is when I switch one of the iPhones to a new apple ID, that I DO NOT lose my messages or contacts!

Once you create a second Apple ID, each Apple ID will behave as if it is a different person. So your job is to make sure that the messages and contacts end up on the iPhone you want them on. (They will not end up under both Apple IDs.) So keep the old Apple ID on the iPhone you wish to keep the messages and contacts. The other one will start as a new iPhone. (This holds for items purchased from the Apple Store as well, such as applications, music, books).

How to switch from one apple ID on two iPhones to two apple ID's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.