Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making a standard DVD with "share"

I have a large pro res 422, 1080p project (125GB) on my timeline.

If I go Share - DVD - will it give me the best compression? I want to send it as a Master copy to the duplicating company.

Or is there a better way and result?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:55 PM

1 reply

May 1, 2016 5:48 AM in response to garyfromladysmith

If you have already selected a service to make your disks, I would contact that company to understand their requirements and to get their recommendations.

Remember that the FCP Share template for DVD only allows for a single track and a very basic menu. If you are sending out your project for duplication or replication, that implies that you have a project that you are prepared to make a significant investment in. Therefore, you might want to inquire about full-featured authoring solutions. Authoring software for the Mac is limited and includes iDVD (long discontinued but available at some retailers), Roxio Toast and Adobe Encore. (I'm didn't list DVD Studio Pro because it is available only by purchasing the EOL Final Cut Studio suite.) There are some other applications but I have no experience with them.

Back to your question about quality…IMO, FCP does a good job of encoding to DVD standards and I think the quality is very good. Compressor has adjustments that can improve quality, but whether that difference is detectable or not depends on the source material, the display, and how critical the audience is. Take a demanding section of your video and select it with the Range Tool (or by setting in and out points) and burn a disk. Play it on a big screen TV and evaluate. if you're not satisfied, consider investing in Compressor – or perhaps talk to your duplication.replication company for their suggestions.

Good luck.

Russ

Making a standard DVD with "share"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.