Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported photos don't show up in Finder

I just discovered a quirk in photos that could confuse some users the way it confused me for a while. I seemed to successfully export photos and videos from the photos app to a folder on my desktop but they did not show up. Everything else seemed to be working. What was wrong?

I used the Terminal command to "show all files" and ... voila, there they were exactly where I put them. What happened is that I selected "use title" for the file name, but I had deleted all the titles so there was no information. Now I realize that I could have changed my finder preference to show all file extensions, and the fiiles would have showed up with nothing but the extension:

.jpg

.jpg (1)

.jpg (2)

.jpg (3)

etc.

The lesson is, don't delete your titles from photos, or if you do, don't export your photos with that option selected.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 1, 2016 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:41 AM

WoW! That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing this!

I tried to reproduce this, and sure enough, I'm seeing the same on OS X 10.11.4. The problem is, that erasing a title does not remove the title but creates an empty title, so the photo has an invisible title.

As a test, import three new photos, for eample:

User uploaded file

The first one, has a title, the second one had a title, but deleted, the third one never had a title.

When I select and export them with "Use title as filename", only two photos will show in the Finder,

The problem is, that deleting a title does not remove the title but adds an empty title. So the photos will be exported with the filename ".jpg".

And even making the Finder always show the filename extensions will not reveal the exported ".jpg" files in the Finder.

User uploaded file

As a work-around, do not erase the title completely, but use an underscore character as the empty title "_" or similar. It needs to be a visible character, a space will not suffice.

User uploaded file

Have you filed a bug report ? Apple - Photos - Feedback

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 1:41 AM in response to bikedaveca

WoW! That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing this!

I tried to reproduce this, and sure enough, I'm seeing the same on OS X 10.11.4. The problem is, that erasing a title does not remove the title but creates an empty title, so the photo has an invisible title.

As a test, import three new photos, for eample:

User uploaded file

The first one, has a title, the second one had a title, but deleted, the third one never had a title.

When I select and export them with "Use title as filename", only two photos will show in the Finder,

The problem is, that deleting a title does not remove the title but adds an empty title. So the photos will be exported with the filename ".jpg".

And even making the Finder always show the filename extensions will not reveal the exported ".jpg" files in the Finder.

User uploaded file

As a work-around, do not erase the title completely, but use an underscore character as the empty title "_" or similar. It needs to be a visible character, a space will not suffice.

User uploaded file

Have you filed a bug report ? Apple - Photos - Feedback

May 1, 2016 1:51 AM in response to bikedaveca

For others coming across this discussion, the files with the filenames ".jpg", ".jpeg (1)" etc. are hidden, because the filename starts with a "." . Any files with names starting with "." are automatically hidden.

A Terminal command to make the invisible files visible in the Finder is

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

And to hide them again:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

May 1, 2016 8:51 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes, that part is working as expected, but deleting the title text does not not remove the title tag itself. The photo will be exported as if it had a title, but that part of the filename will be empty.

So we cannot test for the difference between empty titles and no title. and export photos without titles safely.

A smart album with the constraint "Title is Empty" will include both kinds of a missing title - photos that never had a title tag and photos with an empty string as title tag.

User uploaded file

Both photos are in the smart album "Title is empty", but the right photo had previously had a title.

I put a link to this discussion into a new user tip, so we can more easily find back to it, if other users are reporting a similar problem:

Bug: Exporting Images with "Filename: Use Title" Exports the Files as Invisible if the Title has Been Deleted

May 1, 2016 9:09 AM in response to bikedaveca

Léonie is correct: "even making the Finder always show the filename extensions will not reveal the exported ".jpg" files in the Finder." I was mistaken to write that in my original post.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful to people in the future. Not sure how I can tell Apple to consider a change to the program, perhaps by not allowing blank titles.

Exported photos don't show up in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.