Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6s no electrical current

My phone dies after a few weeks. This has happened twice. Brought it to Apple Store and the phone shows no electrical current. Phone is then replaced. But I don't know WHY it happens. Anyone know what I am doing to cause it? Once is a fluke, but twice means I am probably doing something. I use the charger it came with. No car chargers or anything because these GD phones are ridiculously fragile. What else could it be? Is there a virus or something?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:42 PM

4 replies

May 2, 2016 6:12 AM in response to Rysz

"No current" means that at the Apple store, they hooked the phone up to a an electrical current reader of some sort and it had a reading of .002. The Apple employee said that meant there is no electrical current through the phone. It is dead. The screen is black and doesn't turn on.

I typically charge the phone overnight. So, it is plugged in for ~10 hour or so straight. If I forget to plug it in at night, I will charge it off my computer at work. Same thing, it might be plugged in all day.

Until 2 months ago, I have only had Droids and have had no issues charging them for however long I wanted wherever I wanted. Those things are amazingly user friendly. Is the iPhone 6s typically so temperamental that it can't handle being charged overnight? That would be annoying, but if that is the issue, at least I would know for next time. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

May 2, 2016 6:38 AM in response to Smk1026

I have had 5 iPhones and 2 iPads. I still have 3 of the iPhones and both iPads. I have charged every one of them overnight, every night, starting almost 8 years ago. The 3GS is left plugged in 90% of the time, for days on end. I have never had a problem with any of them. You seem to be very unlucky, or your house wiring is seriously defective.

The phone will reach full charge in 2-3 hours, but it is designed to be plugged in for as long as you want; the charging circuit in the phone stops charging when the phone reaches 100%. Which means that if you check the current flow when the phone is at 100% (actually, between 96% and 100%) it will be zero. This is normal. At State of Charge (SoC) below 75% it will draw 1 amp from the "cube" that comes with the phone, or 1.5 amps using an iPad USB adapter (meaning it will charge slightly faster). Above 75% the rate of charge tapers gradually from 1 amp to zero at 100%.

6s no electrical current

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.