Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv says unsupported mode when plugged into tv

My apple tv 4th generation has been working perfectly then all of the sudden it says unsupported mode on my insignia tv. the main screen of the apple tv will come up for a second then it will say unsupported mode. i have tried using a different HDMI cable and also tried to lower the resolution on the apple tv, because it will work on my other tv, and nothing is working. any help is appreciated. thank you

Apple TV

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 8:57 PM

My Apple TV 4th Gen says "unsupported mode". It worked fine for ~10 months then started showing this error. If I plug in my 2nd generation Apple TV using the same HDMI it works fine so it's not the HDMI nor the TV. I don't have an USB-C cable so I can't restore my Apple TV 4th gen via iTunes.

Any ideas?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2017 8:57 PM in response to danielsuedbeck

My Apple TV 4th Gen says "unsupported mode". It worked fine for ~10 months then started showing this error. If I plug in my 2nd generation Apple TV using the same HDMI it works fine so it's not the HDMI nor the TV. I don't have an USB-C cable so I can't restore my Apple TV 4th gen via iTunes.

Any ideas?

Apr 12, 2017 3:49 AM in response to AppleTVUnsupported

Hi AppleTVUnsupported. First, it is your TV that says "unsupported mode", not Apple TV. Second, your Apple TV has maximum resolution of 720p, not 1080p, which may be why it works. Do you know what video modes your TV can accept? Have you tried using the remote to cycle the video modes, like this:

On the remote, hold Menu and Volume down (Menu and Up for older ATV) for 5 seconds. ATV will then switch to a new format (resolution) every 20 seconds. That's only 3 times a minute, so be patient. When you see a prompt, use the remote to accept the result.

May 1, 2016 3:18 AM in response to danielsuedbeck

Try setting the resolution to automatic.

I've noticed that ATV starts in 720, then switches to the selected resolution. That's why you see the initial Home screen. When ATV switches to the selected resolution, your TV reports unsupported mode. My guess is that you're sending 60 Hz video to a 50 Hz TV, or the opposite. Your other set probably supports both update rates, so it works.

apple tv says unsupported mode when plugged into tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.