Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with connecting Power Book G4 to wireless internet

Hi- I recently inherited a Power Book G4. I am having trouble getting it to connect to wireless internet. According to the systems profiler it does have an AirPort Extreme card but there is no wireless icon on the screen. Any tips for getting connected would be appreciated!!

Thanks-

Stephanie

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Power Book G4 12", 1.5 GHz, 1.25 GB

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:57 PM

The icon in the menu bar can be hidden or displayed. The setting is on System Preferences Network pane. Where it says Show, select AirPort. There's a checkbox for Show AirPort status in menu bar. From that AirPort icon in menu bar, you can select the a local wireless network to join.

From that System Preferences pane, you can use more specific configuration settings, although the default settings often work unless you use special settings with your wireless router.

The AirPort Extreme card may be for 802.11b and g, and not n. If your wireless network is set up for 802.11n-only, you'll need to change that setting to allow 802.11g (on the wireless router).

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 11:57 PM in response to costeph

The icon in the menu bar can be hidden or displayed. The setting is on System Preferences Network pane. Where it says Show, select AirPort. There's a checkbox for Show AirPort status in menu bar. From that AirPort icon in menu bar, you can select the a local wireless network to join.

From that System Preferences pane, you can use more specific configuration settings, although the default settings often work unless you use special settings with your wireless router.

The AirPort Extreme card may be for 802.11b and g, and not n. If your wireless network is set up for 802.11n-only, you'll need to change that setting to allow 802.11g (on the wireless router).

Apr 30, 2016 11:59 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you very much. I got the wireless icon to display. Forgive me because I have not used the AirPort set up before but I think my problem is that I don't have a Base Station, I just have a wireless modem. Does the AirPort card *need* a Base Station to run properly? If that is the case, could I use a USB wireless adapter instead?

Thank you!!!!

May 1, 2016 12:24 AM in response to costeph

Well, it works well with Apple's AirPort basestations, but the PowerBook wouldn't be that useful if you couldn't take it the local café and connect to their "generic" network... 😉

You do need a wireless router. But it can be any standard wireless router, even a really old one. A "modem" is something that is used to connect your computer (or network) to the Internet, through your service provider. In the old days, they connected through the phone line and made annoying sounds. Most users have a "broadband" connection these days, and you often "rent" the modem from your service provider. Some more recent ones have a built in wireless router. Do you have a more recent Mac or Windows PC that connects wirelessly? How does it connect to the Internet?

When you click on the AirPort icon in the menu bar, do you see a list of nearby wireless networks? (First, make sure AirPort is turned ON.) Do you see the one you use with your newer computer? If you do, what happens when you select it?

could I use a USB wireless adapter instead?

You could, but you would still need to connect to your wireless network with it, which is basically the same way you connect with your built-in AirPort card. It's actually more complicated with a USB wireless adapter, because you have to install drivers and software to make it work, and that software is often not compatible with your old version of Mac OS X.

May 1, 2016 12:26 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks very much for your reply.

Sorry, I meant to say router. Yes, I do have other devices that connect fine to our router. And yes I do see our network and it seems to connect after I enter the password but then when I try to open Safari it won't open.

I am wondering if the problem is what you mentioned in your previous post - when I looked at our router it says "802.11n" on it. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks again-

May 1, 2016 12:54 AM in response to costeph

If you did not change any default settings on the router, it is probably already set to support the older (slower) protocols, to be most compatible. You'll need to look up the manual for your particular router online. Apple provides an app (called AirPort Utility) for managing Apple's base stations, but most routers use a web browser to access and change the router's settings.

after I enter the password but then when I try to open Safari it won't open.

Safari should "open" a window, even if you don't have an Internet connection. Are you saying you don't get a Safari window at all?

Since you changed some network settings, you may want to restart the Mac. Connect to your network before restarting.

Also, as a test, if you have a regular Ethernet cable, most routers also have connection points for a wired network connection. You can try connecting the PowerBook using a wired connection. If you manually turn OFF AirPort, I think it will automatically use the wired Ethernet connection. See if you can do some web browsing. If Safari is your indicator of an Internet connection, you should confirm Safari is working properly. If something is wrong with your system, and Safari is not working properly, it won't serve as a good test to see if your wireless connection is working or not.

May 1, 2016 1:08 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks! I had the same thought in the meantime and found an ethernet cable and got the computer connected through that and downloaded a newer version of Safari. It is hooked up through the ethernet cable right now and Safari works. I am just going to test it now again through the wireless to see if the new version of Safari will help...will keep posted.

May 1, 2016 1:18 AM in response to costeph

Good job... 🙂 As a final piece of advice for new users of old PowerPC Macs, download TenFourFox.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

It is a build of FireFox optimized for PowerPC Mac, and maintain by a dedicated developer. Your version of Safari (even after the update you installed) has not been updated by Apple for MANY years, so it often does not work properly on some web sites of today's Internet, and its security is old. I only use TenFourFox on my old PowerBook (which is older than yours).

Need help with connecting Power Book G4 to wireless internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.