Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would a backup to PC backup data?

Hi, I've recently had major issues with my iPad Air 2 involving the iPad having a non-provoked problem where it wouldn't turn on whilst I was at work, even if I tried holding buttons to reboot. The night after this happened I went home and charged it to see if anything would happen and it showed a low power indicator, and after trying to reboot, it then turned off again. This repeated until I managed to get it to turn on by doing some tinkering, which then lead me to figuring out how I was going to try and make it work off power. I made the extremely dumb and uneducated decision of restoring it (after a backup to PC) which lead me to bigger problems, seeing as for some reason I couldn't get my iPad to stay on long enough to restore the backup (it was still faulty even on charge). I backed it up to PC expecting it to save documents and data as well, but much to my panic I've realised today (after managing to restore my backup) that it hasn't. For almost a year my iCloud wasn't backing up despite me having enough space, and I couldn't be bothered to fix it because I thought regular backups to PC would do the job. Have I lost all my work for a year or is there some way to recover it from the backup? Thanks.

iPad Air 2-OTHER, iOS 9.3.1, null

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 4:35 AM

This is why you should never JUST rely on "cloud" (remote offsite server storage) alone.

So let me understand this.

The whole time you have had this iPad, you never, EVER connected it up to your computer to sync and backup your data to iTunes?

And you recently discovered that your iPad wasn't backing up to iCloud, either?

You never bothered to even check all of this time to see if iCloud was storing your iPad's data backups?

iTunes does, certainly, save all app stored data and all app stored documents.

You waited to do a backup to iTunes when your iPad became seriously problematic and glitchy?

It is, definitely, possble that your iPad was glitchy enough to not do a complete backup to iTunes.

That is possible.

There is a very high chance/probability that iTunes did not save any of your data from your iPad and it is now gone.

If you did a restore of that incomplete iTunes backup, I am sorry to say, but the data is gone from your now Pad, too!

If you hadn't tried to do the data restore, there would have been a chance that all of your files would have still been on your iPad.

As soon as you did the inconplete restore, you destroyed the previously stored data that was still on your iPad and it's gone.

This is why you need to make more regular backups to a more stable location for any mobile device.

A mobile computing device is NOT a permanent place to your store important data to.

These devices are not as matured, stable and robust enough technology as a full blown laptop or desktop computer to trust for long-term data storage.

You need to have, at least, one other more robust and reliable source to store your important and precious data and images that you never want to lose.

Even on a more robust computer, you need to have/should have a backup of your important data on your computer, that you never want to lose, in case of hard drive failure or some other computer failure.

FYI, cloud storage is fine, still much better to save to a local source like a computer or WiFi enabled portable and external hard drives designed to use with mobile devices.

These are available from Seagate or Western Digital and there is even a new WiFi enabled USB Flash drive from SanDisk called the SanDisk Connect that comes in a variety of storage sizes that works with any iDevice.

Things to consider so this never happens to you ever, again!

Good Luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 4:35 AM in response to Willzter

This is why you should never JUST rely on "cloud" (remote offsite server storage) alone.

So let me understand this.

The whole time you have had this iPad, you never, EVER connected it up to your computer to sync and backup your data to iTunes?

And you recently discovered that your iPad wasn't backing up to iCloud, either?

You never bothered to even check all of this time to see if iCloud was storing your iPad's data backups?

iTunes does, certainly, save all app stored data and all app stored documents.

You waited to do a backup to iTunes when your iPad became seriously problematic and glitchy?

It is, definitely, possble that your iPad was glitchy enough to not do a complete backup to iTunes.

That is possible.

There is a very high chance/probability that iTunes did not save any of your data from your iPad and it is now gone.

If you did a restore of that incomplete iTunes backup, I am sorry to say, but the data is gone from your now Pad, too!

If you hadn't tried to do the data restore, there would have been a chance that all of your files would have still been on your iPad.

As soon as you did the inconplete restore, you destroyed the previously stored data that was still on your iPad and it's gone.

This is why you need to make more regular backups to a more stable location for any mobile device.

A mobile computing device is NOT a permanent place to your store important data to.

These devices are not as matured, stable and robust enough technology as a full blown laptop or desktop computer to trust for long-term data storage.

You need to have, at least, one other more robust and reliable source to store your important and precious data and images that you never want to lose.

Even on a more robust computer, you need to have/should have a backup of your important data on your computer, that you never want to lose, in case of hard drive failure or some other computer failure.

FYI, cloud storage is fine, still much better to save to a local source like a computer or WiFi enabled portable and external hard drives designed to use with mobile devices.

These are available from Seagate or Western Digital and there is even a new WiFi enabled USB Flash drive from SanDisk called the SanDisk Connect that comes in a variety of storage sizes that works with any iDevice.

Things to consider so this never happens to you ever, again!

Good Luck!

Would a backup to PC backup data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.