Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Whatsapp iPhone 6 Plus iOS 9.3.1

My WhatsApp was purchased in Canada, now I have moved to the US. I changed my Apple Store country from Canada to US but still unable to update WhatsApp. The message "Your account is not valid for use in the Canadian store. You must switch to the US store before purchasing." still appears after I changed store location to US.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 9:48 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2016 9:26 AM in response to gblochao

Hi there gblochao,

It sounds like you are unable to update WhatsApp after updating your account with your US information. When you change your country associated with your account you can no longer download or update from the previous country according to this article, so that is to be expected:

Change your iTunes Store country or region

You won't see the items that you purchased from the previous country’s store in your Purchased section.

You would have to redownload the app from the US App Store, but I would check with WhatsApp support to see if you will be able to restore your chat history before you do. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, all the best.

May 3, 2016 6:05 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks sterling r for your help. I tried everything and still didn't work. Ended up setting up two separate Apple ID, one Canadian and one US, backed up all WhatsApp messages on iCloud, deleted the app and reintalled the app.

Now finally have WhatsApp again, but had lost a few days' worth of messages as back up only captured up to whato was initially set up at WhatsApp. I would suggest others to set up back up WhatsApp messages on a daily basis.

When I lost access to WhatsApp, I couldn't even go to WhatsApp settings to do the back up, the blank screen just said "This version of WhatsApp has expired. Please go to the App Store to update it." And when I got to App Store, "Your account is not valid for use in the Canadian store. You must switch to the US store before purchasing." And switching country didn't work! Going around in circle!

Unable to update Whatsapp iPhone 6 Plus iOS 9.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.