Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formating USB drive connected to AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Gen)

I have a 500GB USB drive connected to my AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Gen) which will mount whenever I'm connected to the network. I'm looking to remove that and use it directly as a USB drive on my other machine. However, I am not able to find a way to reformat or erase the drive.

I've tried the following:

1. using Airport Utility - I can see the drive but I can't erase or format - click on the partition but no options provided

2. remove it from the Airport Extreme and connect it directly to the Mac via USB - but this only shows up the WD partition with some applications to download. I can't see it in Disk Utility as well.

Any suggestions?

thank you

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Gen)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:17 PM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2016 11:34 PM in response to macbiff

You should be able to see the drive in Disk Utility when it is plugged into the Mac..

Sadly disk utility is a vestige of its old self in El Capo.. but you still should be able to repartition the drive.. you will lose all the rubbish like the applications to download.. (they are most likely PC apps anyway).

This has nothing to do btw with airport extreme.

In desperation people have taken to using Yosemite version disk utility in El capo.

https://justus.berlin/2015/10/restore-old-disk-utility-in-os-x-el-capitan/

Formating USB drive connected to AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.