Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro screen frozen but mouse moves

Hi there,

I've been having this problem happen more and more frequently...I would say at least 2x/week for the past month.

My macbook pro's screen freezes, but I can still move the mouse (can't click anything though). I end up having to hold onto the power button and hard restart.

I've noticed that it tends to happen when I'm opening another application (and have others running in the background). Mighttt be correlated to photobooth? not sure. I just notice it happening more when opening photobooth.

Macbook pro, retina mid 2012

OSX 10.9.5

2.6ghz

16gb 1600 mhz

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 12:40 AM

Note the time of the next freeze. After rebooting open the Console app in Finder>Applications>Utilities and look for log entries at the time of the freeze. Post suspicious ones here.

Look before the log entry that starts with BOOT_TIME since that is the first line of a bootup

Also try:

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 12:40 AM in response to jcheung530

Note the time of the next freeze. After rebooting open the Console app in Finder>Applications>Utilities and look for log entries at the time of the freeze. Post suspicious ones here.

Look before the log entry that starts with BOOT_TIME since that is the first line of a bootup

Also try:

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

Macbook pro screen frozen but mouse moves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.