Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone help Facebook scams and Mac Books

Hi,

I am a complete noob when it comes to Mac Books so please bear with me. I have the latest version of El Capitan installed on my Mac Book (purchased Feb 2016) but no Malware protection etc. The firewall is on.

I have just got on to my Facebook and noticed that I have been messaged by a friend telling me to get a supermarket coupon which is clearly a hoax. I did not open message but the message pane opened automatically when another friend also included in the conversation replied, thus opening the whole message on my FB page and on my computer.

This is probably a stupid question for most people but is there a chance my Mac Book now has a virus or malware adware etc on it? I must stress I didn't click on the voucher but wondered if it's possible via messaging if the friend's account was hacked. I really don't like not having any Internet protection installed it seems weird after having a Windows PC!

Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:35 AM

1 reply

May 1, 2016 2:20 PM in response to Mrwhippet

As long as you didn't click on anything, your Mac should be fine. Never click on ads on Facebook. Avoid clicking, "Like" if you can.

https://www.facebook.com/safety/tools

If at some point you think malware may have been installed on your Mac there's a free utility you can download and run > https://www.malwarebytes.org/

"I really don't like not having any Internet protection installed it seems weird after having a Windows PC!"

Since your Mac has El Capitan installed you have the best security available > About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple Support

Make sure Gatekeeper is enabled.

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Select: Mac App Store and identified developers

If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to make changes. You may be prompted for your admin password before proceeding.

Can anyone help Facebook scams and Mac Books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.