Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I may need to replace the motherboard...

So, my MacBookPro is having some video issues which is causing it to not boot, or keep looping at boot. After trying several things to troubleshoot it it's still not working, and I have an appointment at the Apple store to see what can be done.

I've read the past posts from 2013 and 2015, however I was wondering a few things:

A) How likely is that a 2011 model will get a new motherboard? & if so, is that the same as what was used back then? or is it whatever is new now? & how do I know if it's a new one or a refurbished one? I am not looking to have this turn into a cash cow for them.

B) How long does it take them to do this type of repair? I need my laptop next week for work. Do they expedite repairs at all?

C) How much does that cost now? I've seen the past posts, but I was wondering what is the rate now.

Thank you,

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:21 AM

3 replies

May 1, 2016 9:46 AM in response to LuciaGiamanco

To start ... act fast, as 2011 models will be officially "obsolete" in 9 months or so. My 2011 should work fine for years, but will have no Genius BAr support.

1. They may replace the logic board if the GPU is found faulty. The replacement should serve you well, if they do it. It is Apple's call to replace for free, but asking nicely helps.

2. About 5 days. It is sent to a "depot" offsite for the repair. Make a very good backup first as the depot only guarantees a functioning HD with working OSX upon return ... not the return of your data or your original HD.

3. I think about $500-ish if you pay for it. Ask Genius Bar for an accurate estimate.

May 5, 2016 4:44 AM in response to LuciaGiamanco

Good Morning,

UPDATE: I have to tell you that I am beyond happy & ecstatic at this point. I took my laptop to the Apple store, and as it turns out my model was part of a batch with issues. I never had any issues up until this point, however, the video card was done, which is what I already knew, and the repair cost was $310. That said, thanks to this known issue with this model, Apple replaced it for free. Now, picture me jumping up and down and all over.

I picked up the computer yesterday, and it seems to be doing great so far!

PHEW!

Hope everyone has a great day!

I may need to replace the motherboard...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.