Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect an external Graphics card to my Macbook 2016? Via USB, Type C or another Adaptor?

I like to game occasionally and to be fair Intel 515 gphx card inside the macbook 12 inch is doing quite well for games like SC2 on low/medium settings etc. But I was wondering if I wanted to ho up on the settings could I get an external gpu running on this baby? I know Macbook didn't include thunderbolt 3 and instead its just USB Type C so I was wondering if through an adaptor it was possible or can I use USB Type C? Moreover I already have an adaptor that cost me 129 bucks just for USB, HDMI and Type C. Could I run it on either of those ports?

Really need some help here thanks!

Posted on May 1, 2016 2:54 AM

2 replies

Jun 18, 2017 9:49 PM in response to Boulay365

So though this might be a bit old *well over a year old* I was looking into this question and as i understand it, the port on the 2016 and 2017 Macbook remain without the thunderbolt hardware that would allow for the 10Mbs+ to provide the required bandwidth to allow an eGPU (external Graphic Processing Unit). The 2016-17 MBP now support the higher bitrates and this allows for them to take advantage of eGPUs and also support 5k monitors. Hope this helps anyone searching or who stumbles across this post. cheers.

Can I connect an external Graphics card to my Macbook 2016? Via USB, Type C or another Adaptor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.