Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID sensor on iPhone 6 damaged (cracked)

Hi.

I accidentally dropped my phone and the Touch ID on the home button of my iPhone 6 is cracked. It no longer detects input, e.g. Reachability, fingerprints, etc. The home button works just fine. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to replace the damaged part? I went to an authorized Apple service centre and they said they only offer a whole unit replacement because they don't offer replacement for that unit only. And is it true that the Touch ID is linked to the logic board and replacement is impossible due to the fact that it only recognizes one Touch ID?

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 4:08 AM

Hi Nazu95,

I am not 100% on the answers to these questions as i am not an authorised Apple employee or service centre employee, but, what I can suggest is you go to the following webpage (https://support.apple.com/contact) and select "Get a Repair". Going through the steps on these webpages will let you speak to an official Apple employee, and they will be able to provide more of an insight for you in regards to this.

Let me know how it goes,

Zach

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 4:08 AM in response to nazu95

Hi Nazu95,

I am not 100% on the answers to these questions as i am not an authorised Apple employee or service centre employee, but, what I can suggest is you go to the following webpage (https://support.apple.com/contact) and select "Get a Repair". Going through the steps on these webpages will let you speak to an official Apple employee, and they will be able to provide more of an insight for you in regards to this.

Let me know how it goes,

Zach

May 1, 2016 9:26 AM in response to nazu95

Hello, the Touch ID sensor on iPhone 6 is actually integrated into the display assembly. Assuming there is no damage to the enclosure that would prevent a display replacement (bends or dents in the enclosure, especially around the edges where it meets the display) then a display replacement would be the best option. You can make an appointment for the Genius Bar at an Apple Store and the technician who helps you will be able to assess the enclosure damage and all of the available options. The costs for a display replacement (in the United States) assuming there is no further damage are as follows;

• With AppleCare+ ($79)
  • Without AppleCare+ ($109)

If you'd like the prices in your local currency, please visit the website below and adjust the region at the bottom of the page.

iPhone Screen Damage - Official Apple Support

Touch ID sensor on iPhone 6 damaged (cracked)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.