Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume is out of control (gets its "own life") - ATV triggers that volume goes to maximum or minumum in a matter of one minute.

Hi,

Just got an Apple TV.

When turning on our ATV volume it triggers that our Denon receiver volume slowly drifts to maximum or minumum - it takes about 1 min to do this.

Have tried to hook the ATV directly to both our Denon Receiver and our Sony TV. Problem happens in both configurations. I've tried the various options to disable the smart controls that the latest HDMI standard offers - both ATV and our TV (e.g. disabling auto volume control).

Turning the ATV off and on again (systems menu) will stop the problem for a while - however same problem returns after 1 to 5 mins.

I've spent 8 hours over the last couple of days trying to get it to work. Seems like a bug in the ATV SW?? (i.e. disabling ATV smart control does not take effect).

Desipite being impossible to use, I don't want to damage my 20K speaker system. I am close to returning my unit and getting a Chromecast instead.

Any help to resolve this would be much appreciated!!

System: Apple TV gen. 4 + Denon AVR 2313 + Sony KDL 60w605 all connected with HDMI (and 3 other units that work fine).

Apple TV, iOS 9.2, 4th Generation 64Gb

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2016 12:36 AM

Sounds like a defective remote. With HDMI control off, it sounds possible the remote is putting out IR signals direct to the receiver. Try covering the remote front or the receiver front. In any case I would return the unit. When testing leave on the main menu and just watch the volume level on the receiver. Do not play anything to avoid overload issues.

Post your receiver model number.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2016 12:36 AM in response to kkpilgaard

Sounds like a defective remote. With HDMI control off, it sounds possible the remote is putting out IR signals direct to the receiver. Try covering the remote front or the receiver front. In any case I would return the unit. When testing leave on the main menu and just watch the volume level on the receiver. Do not play anything to avoid overload issues.

Post your receiver model number.

May 22, 2016 1:02 AM in response to Vinceassociate

Hi again,

Many thanks for the help and support. :-) Here some continuation. There was endeed something wrong with the remote. I got the ATV back from repair last week.

I returned the remote and they exchanged the remote for a new one (in the repair notes they found it a bit unresponsive). They ran a standard test on the ATV unit and found all in order.

The strange thing now is the problem has returned - all worked fine for 9 days, but the volume is now out of control again - it can "auto" control both the receiver and the TV.

I did the checking you suggested and found:

1. Covering the remote, stopped the volume drifting,

2. I filmed it with a mobile phone and in the video one can see that the remote is sending out IR signals all the time.

So you were 100% right.

Question is now what is the true root cause?

- Both remotes worked a number of days before the error started happening.

- Is there a SW bug? trigger from the ATV?

- Can I deactivate the IR in some way?

- Might lower battery level play a role? (as Diana suggested to check)

(Did they really change the remote? I hope so..)

Any help to resolve this would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks for the help!

BR Kenneth

Receiver model is a Denon AVR-2313 and the TV is a Sony KDL 60w605

May 22, 2016 4:43 AM in response to kkpilgaard

Just to be clear, the remote covered was the ATV one right? If so, it is defective. There are plastic bubble switches inside for the buttons and it must be defective or a poor solder joint is causing the runaway behaviour.

Assuming you are not wedging the remote into the sofa or placing things on the volume buttons other than your fingers, you are not doing anything that is causing this. Pressing the button for long periods of time (holding for hours) could cause the button to malfunction. I bet the remote was not replaced but instead was played with for a while until it seemed to work.

It is unclear where you are getting it serviced, but I would contact Apple directly via the Store or via phone and request a complete replacement ATV unit including the remote. I would provide the video of the problem showing no button presses with the volume going up and a hand block causing the issue to stop.

May 22, 2016 12:39 PM in response to Vinceassociate

Hi,

I am impressed by your fast reply. Yes it is the ATV remote that I covered (on video one can see the IR signals). Before the repair, it would send the volume both ways, but mostly up.

It has not been wedged so I dont think it is a mechanical fault on the dome/bubble switches. More likely SW bug or other HW problem, or?.. :-)

Exploring it more today - after leaving it alone a few hours, it would control the volume when touching any button or touchpad - after a few minutes it started to do it all by itself again. Checked again and it is the IR going ...

Good advice - I'll take it directly to the Apple store with the videos (the repair was done by a service center to the electronics store). Now, I actually do not trust 100% that I got a new replacement remote.

It seems to be a quite tricky quality problem, in both instances only starting after a good weeks time. If it continues it would damage my dear expensive speakers.. :-(

What is 100% sure is that I could see the IR going "crazy" and sending non stop - what triggers the remote to do this is the big question.. :-)

Thanks again..

Kind regards, Kenneth

May 22, 2016 1:49 PM in response to kkpilgaard

I have been an automotive engineer for 27 years and returned defective parts were often labeled NTF (No Trouble Found) by the suppliers we sent them to. In fairness to them it can be difficult to reproduce or detect problems from returned parts even when you have a masters degree and are eager to find them. People in electronics stores don't make the products and will be very reluctant to replace stuff since they must in turn get the manufacturer to reimburse them. The manufacturer will scrutinize the return.

Apple has an excellent policy toward the customer. They always try and do the right thing. I am sure if you bring them the entire ATV and remote and show the video, they will replace the unit and not waste your time trying to figure out which part is the issue.

I have had my ATV since last fall and it has been flawless and never once put out erroneous IR signals to my receiver. It is up to date on software so a legitimate bug is not your issue.

Glad to hear an Apple Store is an option for you and I wish you luck in getting a proper unit.

Volume is out of control (gets its "own life") - ATV triggers that volume goes to maximum or minumum in a matter of one minute.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.