Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad or iphone

Hi all..

I'm about to go for an iPad Pro 12-inch,, however i currently have an iPhone 6s.

I'm wondering apart from the fact u can have iPad with Cellular, u have a bigger screen, internal stuff improved, basically all round u can do exactly the same on a phone, with small display..

True, screen is gonna be a factor, but from the portability an iPhone would so just as good wouldn't it ?

So why do people buy iPad's if u can do exactly the same thing on a phone? Given that u also have IPad only apps, would also be a way, but what if u said all apps are universal?

I guess what i'm saying is about from the performance, screen/resolution and camera, can't you just use an IPhone with a 5.5-inch screen to do everything ?

and since u have cellular anyway, u won't be paying twice. (payments for each device)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 1, 2016 4:58 AM

8 replies

May 1, 2016 5:29 AM in response to Tech198

You can do almost everything, the Apple pencil doesn't work with the iPhone. I would ask the question in reverse, can I do anything on a iPhone that I can do on my iPad. With the small screen the answer is no.

If you're having second thoughts about buying the Pro can I recommend holding off until you're certain it's what you want.

May 1, 2016 5:45 AM in response to bobseufert

ok,, true on the reverse case,,,, but its probably not u can't technically,...

Its the fact you can, just it would be impossible on a small screen, allot of fiddle work,

True, the Apple pencil would not work on iPhone, so make iPad a more better experience, but for me, Apple pencil i do not need.

The question is more of an use case and also a decision case to help me decide..

If i know why others use an ipad over an Iphone, then that will tell me more why its better to get. because apart from what i said originally, there is really no difference taking out the pencil and app case.

I am going more about portability, and 5.5-inch screen of a phone,even though and i would probably cause me ****, is nice and portable compared to an iPad, even a 9.7 inch is huge

That's my own case, but if others have their own experience with why they use a tablet, that would probably open my eyes more and say "I never thought about that"

That's what i'm getting at.

May 1, 2016 6:54 AM in response to Tech198

I'm a college professor, and I own an iPhone 6s, and an iPad Mini 4. While I can do most things on my iPhone, when away from home, there are many things I can do somewhat better on the iPad, and don't have to bring my laptop. I can tether my iPad to the iPhone, so I didn't need to purchase a wi-fi cellular model, saving myself some money there. The screen size for the iPad mini works well for me on some of the issues I need to address with students in Blackboard and other online services much better than the iPhone, again, screen size. Lastly for me at least, I have a 128GB version, so when I travel, I put a movie or two on it purely for entertainment purposes. Much better experience than the iPhone for that.

May 1, 2016 7:47 AM in response to Tech198

I own an both the large iPad Pro (128 GB storage model )and a 6th gen iPod Touch ( 64 GB storage model, which is pretty much an iPhone wiithout the phone.

There are a LOT of things I could never/want to do on my iPod Touch that I can do with ease with my standard size iPad and my larger screen iPad Pro with double the RAM of all the current iDevices.

I am a creative and drawing on the small screens of iPhone, iPod Touch and to a significant degree the iPad Mini models were never big enough to more naturally sketch/draw/paint on.

I like my larger screen iPads for all of my various drawing apps, music performance and sound apps and even for reading my eBooks and eMagazines.

I like the bigger screen real estate for note taking and idea taking apps, too, over smaller screen iDevices.

It comes down to your personality and personal preferences.

Are you a iPhone/iPod Touch type of user OR are you an iPad user?

I am, squarely, an iPad user.

I use my 6th Gen iPod Touch mostly for storing and playing my large music library and for FaceTime/Skype calls, some games, sometimes as a passive GPS and use this iPod Touch sync'd up. with my smart watch, at that is it!

I use my iPad for everything else and any heavy work/project loads, basically, using my iPads, and especially my iPad Pro, as pretty much a laptop

replacement.

I, also use my iPad Pro with a wireless, visual drawing tablet app for drawing directly from my iPad Pro to my Mac.

Lots of wonderful things you can do with a large screen iPad that you simply can't do on smaller screen iDevice.

What are you expecting/planning to do with the large iPad Pro if you have no interest in purchasing an Apple pencil?

Have you considered the smaller 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro model?

You'll get a standard size iPad with many improvements over the 12.9 inch model, if you are not sure about the larger size iPad Pro model.

It will weigh less, too!

The large iPad Pro weighs almost 1-1/2 pounds.

There is a significant weight to the larger iPad model.

May 1, 2016 7:57 AM in response to Tech198

If you can afford it, depending on what you are going to use this for, if you want some future proofing, go for either the 128 or 256 GB storage models.

In my opinion, the 32 GB storage option is just too little for this class of iPad.

You only end of with 27- 28 GBs of usable storage space.

The 128 GB model has about 118-120 GBs of usable space.

The 256 GB model will, probably have approx 244-246 GBs of usable storage space.

Good Luck!

ipad or iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.