Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How often should I plug in my 2016 macbook pro?

Just bought a macbook pro a few months ago after being an HP laptop user, I am trying to figure out how to keep the battery "exercised". When not running any of the Adobe CC, just browsing in chrome and safari my battery full charged shows a life of about 3 hours (which seems low to me). I have kept it plugged in most of the time for the last couple months but someone told me this was bad. So my question:

1. How often should I plug in my macbook? I use it about 11 hours a day, so clearly it is going to need to be plugged in some of the time, but what is the best plug in/not plug in pattern?

2. When I shut down at night, should I keep it plugged in, or unplug it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:44 PM

You can keep the MBP plugged in most of the time. The charging circuits will stop charging at 100% and let the battery trickle down to 95% before charging again.

Mine is plugged in much of the time, but I use the battery down to 30%-40% at least one a month.

Use it as needed ... off charger when mobile, but plug in a few times during the day to top off the charge. Just do not run it below 10% and definitely do not run it dead ... both damage the battery.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 1:44 PM in response to senordeer

You can keep the MBP plugged in most of the time. The charging circuits will stop charging at 100% and let the battery trickle down to 95% before charging again.

Mine is plugged in much of the time, but I use the battery down to 30%-40% at least one a month.

Use it as needed ... off charger when mobile, but plug in a few times during the day to top off the charge. Just do not run it below 10% and definitely do not run it dead ... both damage the battery.

May 1, 2016 1:47 PM in response to steve359

Awesome Steve thanks so much. So when the macbook is fully charged and I unplug it, it only shows a remaining battery life of like 3 hours, even when I don't have any Adobe CC apps open (I know they are power suckers). Is this normal? It seems low to me.

And should I keep it plugged in when it is shut down (like at night)?

How often should I plug in my 2016 macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.