Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari gave me a blue screen of death calling it the Microsoft blue screen of death after installing Adobe flash player. The van is loaded me to a Microsoft third-party tech-support I did not trust that has anyone had a problem with Adobe flash playe

Safari gave blue screen of death after downloading Adobe flash player with no access to the interne. Big sign telling me that my Microsoft computer has been blocked and to call this number which was, according to the individual I spoke, a third party vendor working for.Microsof. Has anyone else experienced this. I did not trust them especially when they stated that they wanted to log into my compute. Is there a resolution other than OS X Recovery?

Mac Pro 2007-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mountain lion

Posted on May 1, 2016 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 7:22 AM

There are hundreds of these scam sites out there. Nothing was installed on your Mac, or even downloaded to it. The goal of all of them is to sucker you out of as much money as you're willing to cough up. Good thing you cut them off and didn't allow them access to your Mac.

The usual simple fix is to Force Quit Safari. Then hold down the shift key and relaunch it. The shift key tells Safari not to load any previous sites.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 7:22 AM in response to gward1

There are hundreds of these scam sites out there. Nothing was installed on your Mac, or even downloaded to it. The goal of all of them is to sucker you out of as much money as you're willing to cough up. Good thing you cut them off and didn't allow them access to your Mac.

The usual simple fix is to Force Quit Safari. Then hold down the shift key and relaunch it. The shift key tells Safari not to load any previous sites.

May 1, 2016 11:25 AM in response to lllaass

Illaass,

I downloaded adobe flash player while on You Tube because I was prompted to update. When I did that you're prompted with restart you browser, from that point I received he blue screen of death with a message saying that my Microsoft Computer had been blocked with a tech support number to call. I didn't trust that so I sent a message out to the community for help. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. There's nothing like the Mac World!!!

Thanks

May 1, 2016 11:37 AM in response to gward1

Never, ever believe any web site that tells you to download Flash, Shockwave, Java, or any type of "codec" because you need it to view something.

Shockwave is essentially dead. I haven't installed it for years and have yet to run across a site that requires it. Java it all but dead. Oracle has announced its development is being discontinued. Flash is also in the almost dead category, but there are still many sites out there that require it to function as expected. It'll be that way until browsers stop supporting it in favor of HTML5.

There's no such thing as a blue screen of death in a browser window. I know that's what you saw and what it said, but a BSOD is a severe hardware or software fault in older versions of Windows that would cause the blue screen to appear along with the hexadecimal memory value or other message that caused it. The only way out of one is to reboot the computer. Yours didn't do that, it just used the common JavaScript trick to put that web page in a loop so you couldn't close it.

More concerning is what else may have been installed with that fake Flash installer. The Flash Player should only ever be acquired from Adobe. Any other site that says you need it and offers to download it directly from them rather than directing you to Adobe's site should automatically be considered to by lying.

Not knowing what else may have been installed, you should strongly consider backing up your personal data, then erasing the drive and restoring your last backup before any of this happened.

Safari gave me a blue screen of death calling it the Microsoft blue screen of death after installing Adobe flash player. The van is loaded me to a Microsoft third-party tech-support I did not trust that has anyone had a problem with Adobe flash playe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.