Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use time capsule as repeater.

I work away from home where Ethernet point is supplied. I want to make this wifi. Will tc work by simply connecting Ethernet into tc. Also can I connect another hard drive to tc and stream on other apple devices.

Posted on May 1, 2016 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:55 AM

The term "repeater" is used for a product that receives a wireless signal and then re-broadcasts it, providing additional strength and range for the wireless signal.

You are asking about connecting an Ethernet cable to the Time Capsule, so in this type of setup, the Time Capsule would "create" a wireless network for other devices to connect using wireless.

Whether or not you will be able to set up the Time Capsule this way will be determined by the manner in which the network administrator has set things up. If any device is allowed to connect to the Ethernet port, then the Time Capsule might be able to do what you ask. On the other hand, if the network administrator has placed controls on the network that only allow certain devices to connect, the Time Capsule will have to be first "authorized" before it will be allowed to connect to the network.

If you have the time to experiment, it won't hurt to try to set up the Time Capsule to "create" a wireless network. It will either work or it won't. If it does, then you are all set. If it doesn't, you will need to get with the network administrator to ask if what you want to do is possible.

As far as streaming media from a hard drive connected to the Time Capsule, you would need to have iTunes running on a computer on the network to perform this function. How well.....or even if.....things will work unfortunately cannot be predicted. It will be a "try it and see" situation.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 9:55 AM in response to johnmc82

The term "repeater" is used for a product that receives a wireless signal and then re-broadcasts it, providing additional strength and range for the wireless signal.

You are asking about connecting an Ethernet cable to the Time Capsule, so in this type of setup, the Time Capsule would "create" a wireless network for other devices to connect using wireless.

Whether or not you will be able to set up the Time Capsule this way will be determined by the manner in which the network administrator has set things up. If any device is allowed to connect to the Ethernet port, then the Time Capsule might be able to do what you ask. On the other hand, if the network administrator has placed controls on the network that only allow certain devices to connect, the Time Capsule will have to be first "authorized" before it will be allowed to connect to the network.

If you have the time to experiment, it won't hurt to try to set up the Time Capsule to "create" a wireless network. It will either work or it won't. If it does, then you are all set. If it doesn't, you will need to get with the network administrator to ask if what you want to do is possible.

As far as streaming media from a hard drive connected to the Time Capsule, you would need to have iTunes running on a computer on the network to perform this function. How well.....or even if.....things will work unfortunately cannot be predicted. It will be a "try it and see" situation.

May 1, 2016 4:19 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have had a belkin travel router attached before and it worked fine Unfortunately I have lost this and am trying to get a better system streaming from hard drive would be great. Also I have no control of main router and cannot get change any settings and it is an expensive device if it doesn't work. I have been told a AirPort Extreme would work but I cannot connect a hard drive to it.

May 1, 2016 5:30 PM in response to johnmc82

Also I have no control of main router and cannot get change any settings and it is an expensive device if it doesn't work

We can tell you that things should work......but there is a big difference between should work and will work.

If you buy from Apple, you have a 14 day return privilege on any product that you choose. As I said, the only way that you will know how well.....or, if....things will work will be to try them out.

I have been told a AirPort Extreme would work but I cannot connect a hard drive to it.

What you have been told is not correct. The USB port on the AirPort Extreme is identical to the Time Capsule. In fact, a Time Capsule actually is an AirPort Extreme, except that it has a built in hard drive. That is the only difference between the two products.

You might want to look over the information sheet on the AirPort Extreme linked just below:

http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

Specific information from the information sheet.....

User uploaded file

Can I use time capsule as repeater.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.