Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync ipod touch with laptop(S)

I have a music library of 1200 odd tunes. They were on my iPod and in iTunes library on laptop#1. I recently bought laptop#2 and decided to have access to iTunes library on that one also. I downloaded iTunes on to laptop#2 and backed up to icloud. the library has now disappeared from iPod (but is still on both laptops). Can't sync with either laptop - #1 won't show the iPod icon so I can't get to the page with the sync button on it - #2 shows the icon but when I hit sync it says "Can't sync; an unknown error has occurred" or words to that effect. How can I get my music back on the iPod. Do I need a new iPod? present one is generation 4.

iPod shuffle, iOS 7

Posted on May 1, 2016 7:48 AM

4 replies

May 1, 2016 8:28 AM in response to Geeyess

You said ""Can't sync; an unknown error has occurred" or words to that effect."

What is the exact wording of the error message?

You can only sync with one computer. To switch computers

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive: Apple Support Communities

If all the synced media like apps and music are already in the iTunes library of the new computer just backup to iTunes and restore from that backup.

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

May 2, 2016 2:56 AM in response to Geeyess

What icon? If the iPod does not appear in iTunes then:

If you don‘t see your connected device in iTunes for Mac

Or

First:

iTunes: Fix iPhone or iPod Not Detected in Windows 10

next try

Apple Mobile Device USB Driver Missing

last

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

- New cable and different USB port

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes - ASC

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

Deauthorizing only effects using iTunes/app store purchases. Not syncing I general

Can't sync ipod touch with laptop(S)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.