Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issue with cvs fields & Numbers

Sometimes when i am downloading a cvs file and try to open in Numbers, all the fields (there are about 10) are being dumped into 1 field. What can i do to prevent this?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on May 1, 2016 8:36 AM

8 replies

May 1, 2016 3:24 PM in response to Sam Esposito

That's probably the result of some complication in the CFS file. CVS (character separated values) is not a precisely defined standard, but tends to come in various "flavors." Numbers is pretty good at importing most CVS but can't handle every variation encountered out there "in the wild."

I tend to have the best luck with CSV using this CSV to Tabs on Clipboard Automator Service (Dropbox download). It incorporates an amazing handler (subroutine) posted by Nigel Garvey at macscript.net, together with some overall scripting enhancements by ASC member Badunit. It does very well with most CSV data, almost as well as Excel (which can handle just about anything).

To install, just double-click the downloaded .workflow package and if necessary give permission at System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

To use, just option-click a csv file in Finder (i.e., not Numbers) and choose 'CSV to Tabs on Clipboard' from the Finder > Services contextual menu. Answer the prompt, click once in a destination cell in an existing Numbers table, and type command-v or choose Edit > Paste and Match Style.

SG

May 1, 2016 3:24 PM in response to Sam Esposito

I forgot to mention in my post above above that installing and trying out theCSV to Tabs on Clipboard Automator Service takes less time than posting here or sending an email. You'll know in less than a minute if it does the job for you, without having to doctor and give out your data.

And if for some reason it doesn't do the job on the files you are working with, you can easily remove it in Finder by holding down <option> key and in the menu Go > Library > Services and delete it like any other Finder item. I think you'll find it useful, though.

SG

May 1, 2016 4:47 PM in response to Sam Esposito

Sam Esposito wrote:

thank you very much. worked great. any issues i'll let you know.

Glad it worked on your file. If you do encounter problems, please do let me know. Always looking to improve the script within the Automator Service. So far it's way outperformed expectations. Nigel Garvey did a super job on the really tough part of the script to handle messy, real world CSV. Thanks for the feedback!

SG

issue with cvs fields & Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.