Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Activation Unsuccessful

Hello.

I recently bought an iPhone 6 16GB and am running on iOS 9.3.1, and am currently having trouble with iMessage.

I have tried countless times now to activate iMessage, however the "Waiting for activation message remains for about 3 hours every time, after which it reads "Activation unsuccessful".

I also have another issue: when I open the "Send & Receive" box in the "Messages" settings folder, I see only my email address in the "You can be reached by iMessage at" list. There isn't even a "Start new conversations from" list on the page. What I want is to be able to enter my phone number into that.

I have tried everything I could find on Google and various forums. I will try and recall as many troubleshooting steps that failed as I can:

Turning iMessage off and on again

Rebooting the phone

Resetting network settings

Restoring the phone

I have made sure my number is stored in the "Settings > Phone > My Number" box. I have tried starting the number with both "0" and "+44" (I live in the UK).

My number is active as I have been able to call it and call from it.

I have "Send as SMS" enabled in "Settings > Messages".

Restrictions are turned off.

I am logged in to a valid Apple ID.

My Mobile Data is turned on and 4G is set to Data Only.

I should note that this is also the case with FaceTime, however I do not plan on using FaceTime at all so I'm not too fussed about that.

I could really do with some guidance because I don't know what I can do from this point on except take it in to the shop and ask them about it.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1, iMessage Activation

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:31 AM

If you send an SMS to someone, does it work?

Apple's recommended steps are here, some of which it sounds like you've already tried: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

9 replies

May 1, 2016 9:33 AM in response to bacongrease

It seems like you have done just about everything that there is to do. If the phone number does not appear in the settings for iMessage, you can not add the number until iMessage is activated.

I Assume that you saw this support document but just in case.

Add or remove your phone number to iMessage or FaceTime on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Did you check Settings>General>Date & Time>Set Automatically>On? Have you tried signing out of your Apple ID in settings>iTunes & App Store, restart the phone and then sign in again?

May 1, 2016 9:34 AM in response to bacongrease

What country are you in and what cellular carrier are you using?

Are they on this list? Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada - Apple Support (choose the correct region after opening the page)

iMessage and FaceTime use SMS messages to complete the activation. If you are using an unsupported carrier, activation may not be successful.

iMessage Activation Unsuccessful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.