Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express won’t connect to my WiFi as bridge

Hi everyone,

searched for this throughout many webpages and Apple support forums, but I still couldn’t figure it out...

I have bought Airport Express recently to extend my Wifi to another room and use it for AirPlay as well. My existing WiFi network is set up through Asus RT-N12 router (it’s connected to our house-wide provider modem - not accessible). I want my Airport Express to work as bridge, connected to existing network and to serve as extender and airplay receiver.

It only works when I connect Airport Express through LAN cable to Asus router and set it as new network. That's not convenient because it sits near the router and doesn’t provide any additional coverage to our Wifi.

I tried to setup the Airport Express as “Extend existing network”. But when set, it REQUIRES connection via cable. There is NO choice to connect to existing WiFi network. That option is missing in Airpot Utility, so I can’t select the Wifi to connect to.

Additionaly, when I connect the Airport Express by cable to WAN port (which goes from our wall from our house modem), it can’t get the internet connection for some reason (while Asus has no issue to do so).

I’m quite desperate here. I think already about buying Airport Extreme. But, I don’t know if it will be able to connect to internet for the same unknown reason. And, it’s five times more expensive. Everything else works with Asus with no issues and additional settings. iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, Android phones, Mac Pro’s, Windows laptops (except old iPhone 3G which says it can’t connect to the network).

Any ideas where to look for a solution? Any recommended settings in our Asus modem to allow Airport as bridge? And, most importantly, WHY is the setup missing the option to connect to existing Wifi network and wants to connect via cable ONLY?

Thank you...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:31 AM

I want my Airport Express to work as bridge, connected to existing network and to serve as extender and airplay receiver.

Unfortunately, Apple's "extend a wireless network" function is a proprietary feature that was designed by Apple to only wirelessly "extend" the signal from another Apple wireless router.

Or, another way to say the same thing would be to state that if you want to wirelessly extend the network, you will need two Apple routers for that purpose.

In other words, the "extend" feature is not compatible with 3rd party routers, so the only way that you will be able to get the Express to work....or any other Apple router, for that matter.... would be to do as you have been doing, and connect the Express using a wired Ethernet cable connection. If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then you might want to take a look at a pair of Ethernet over Powerline (EOP) adapters to possibly send the signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home.

If you only want to use the AirPort Express for AirPlay, it might be possible for the Express to "join" the wireless network.....but the Express will not provide any additional wireless signal coverage when it joins a wireless network.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 9:31 AM in response to jprazak

I want my Airport Express to work as bridge, connected to existing network and to serve as extender and airplay receiver.

Unfortunately, Apple's "extend a wireless network" function is a proprietary feature that was designed by Apple to only wirelessly "extend" the signal from another Apple wireless router.

Or, another way to say the same thing would be to state that if you want to wirelessly extend the network, you will need two Apple routers for that purpose.

In other words, the "extend" feature is not compatible with 3rd party routers, so the only way that you will be able to get the Express to work....or any other Apple router, for that matter.... would be to do as you have been doing, and connect the Express using a wired Ethernet cable connection. If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then you might want to take a look at a pair of Ethernet over Powerline (EOP) adapters to possibly send the signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home.

If you only want to use the AirPort Express for AirPlay, it might be possible for the Express to "join" the wireless network.....but the Express will not provide any additional wireless signal coverage when it joins a wireless network.

May 1, 2016 10:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi, thank you for your reply. I already suspected this would be the reason, just didn’t find it mentioned elsewhere 😟 Seems I must indeed buy another Airport Express or Extreme.

Another question: is it possible to extend wirelessly the network from one Airport Express via another one? Or do I need to buy Extreme as primary device?

What are the benefits of Extreme over Express except the power?

May 1, 2016 12:03 PM in response to jprazak

I already suspected this would be the reason, just didn’t find it mentioned elsewhere

You might want to take a look at Apple's information sheet for the AirPort Express. The link is just below:

http://www.apple.com/airport-express/

The pertinent information from the document is here:

If you already have a wireless network in your home and want to extend its range, AirPort Express can help. Just place it in range of your primary base station — an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Express

is it possible to extend wirelessly the network from one Airport Express via another one?

Yes. The "main" AirPort Express would be configured to "create a wireless network" while the remote Express connecting wirelessly would be configured to "extend a wireless network". Any Apple router.....an AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, or AirPort Time Capsule is compatible with any other Apple router to "extend" the network wirelessly.

Of course, in order for the "extend" feature work well, the remote or extending AirPort will need to be located where it can receive a strong wireless signal from the "main" AirPort router.

AirPort Extreme runs circles around the AirPort Express as far as performance. The Express has only a 100 Mbps Ethernet port, so that is a limiting factor, while the AirPort Extreme has 1,000 Mbps Ethernet ports......10 times faster. Wireless wise, the Extreme is about 3 times faster than the Express, and it has much better wireless range and coverage, since there are 6 antennas located right up at the top of the "tower". The Express uses 4 antennas.

Ideally, you would use two AirPort Extremes for a top notch network. A compromise would be to use the Extreme as the "main" AirPort and the Express as the "extender".

Airport Express won’t connect to my WiFi as bridge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.