Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE: home screen rotation doesn't work

Hi guys,

I already searched for answers to this problem in the discussions, but I couldn't find anything that solved the issue. Here's the situation:

- brand new iPhone SE: got it yesterday and just imported my contacts, modified some settings and installed a couple of apps...that's all.

- home screen does not rotate into landscape mode (my previous blackberry touch did this by default, so I'm used to do everything on the phone keeping it horizontal, and didn't expect such problem with iPhone); rotation does not happen also in the app store. However, it flawlessly rotates to landscape when using apps (calculator, messages etc.).

- I tried solutions suggested by other users in different threads:

1) checked the lock in the grey screen (it was off); tried to switch it on and then off again to see if rotation was enabled with no success.

2) looked in "settings/display and brightness" to see if "zoom mode" was enabled to switch it off but discovered that the iPhone SE (or its version of iOS) does not have the "zoom mode" option in that panel...no problem, but also no solution :/ .

3) I think that trying a reset should be pointless as the phone is brand new and it behaved like this from the first time I switched it on (am I right?).

4) I read that some versions of the iPhone (e.g. 6) do not have the "rotate home screen" function (which, to me, seems completely absurd) and, supposedly, you can only use the phone in portrait mode, while the 6S for some reason has the option available: the SE specs should be similar to the 6S, does anyone know (for sure) if the home screen rotation is supported on the SE?

Thank you all in advance...I hope that someone will come up with a solution because I know it seems a stupid thing but to me it's terribly annoying.

Posted on May 1, 2016 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2017 9:46 AM

I've been interested in all the comments made about rotation on an SE iPhone. I seem to have a different story. When I first purchased the SE in the summer of 2016 the scene did rotate and i used it for maps and a Solitaire game I play. No, I'm not dreaming as I used it on my dashboard for thousands of Km's in Australia. The rotation disappeared after one of the iOS updates during this year. Most frustrating as in portrait mode the SE is not good.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2017 9:46 AM in response to NeptuneKing

I've been interested in all the comments made about rotation on an SE iPhone. I seem to have a different story. When I first purchased the SE in the summer of 2016 the scene did rotate and i used it for maps and a Solitaire game I play. No, I'm not dreaming as I used it on my dashboard for thousands of Km's in Australia. The rotation disappeared after one of the iOS updates during this year. Most frustrating as in portrait mode the SE is not good.

Sep 10, 2017 9:52 AM in response to ChrisH454

I think you're confusing two different things. The Home screen on the SE has never rotated. Some apps, such as Contacts don't rotate. Other apps, including Maps certainly do. If your SE isn't rotating in Maps, then the first thing you need to do is check to see if your screen is locked in portrait mode. Swipe from the bottom of the screen to pull up the Control Center. In the left most pane of the Control Center, look at the right hand icon, the one that looks like a circular arrow with a padlock in the center. Is it red? If so, tap it. Your screen should now rotate in apps that support it.

If that doesn't do the trick, post back.

May 1, 2016 9:34 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Hi Barry,

and thank you for your superquick answer 🙂 even if you're telling me that I'm doomed to hate this phone from the very beginning 😕

Anyway (still hoping that someone will come up with some kind of workaround later) I'd like to share a couple of considerations with you (as your "Level 8" means that you know something about these matters):

1) if this impossibility of rotating the home screen (and app store, and itunes store etc.) to landscape is really "built in" in some models (SE) and not in others (6S) with similar hardware/specs, it should be a software block and not a hardware limit, am I right? But if it is a software block, how is it possible that the same OS allows home screen rotation on one model and not on another? And let's reverse it: if the OS is the same for all phones, it should theoretically be possible to eliminate this block with a patch/string/whatever, am I right?

2) if you develop a phone with 4" screen plus frame, without a "back" button near the "home button" on the inferior side of the frame, and you provide it with an OS that stacks icons from top to bottom and has "back" commands in every page appearing in the top left corner, how the h**l do you think a normal right handed person can use it in portrait mode with one hand??? I mean, I'm not a 5ft girl with tiny hands, I'm a 6ft guy and still can't manage to reach that top left corner with my thumb without dropping the phone on the floor in the process. I mean, come on, this is not the first iteration of this phone...

May 1, 2016 9:55 AM in response to KiltedTim

Hi KiltedTim,

I appreciate your honesty...you made me laugh 😁 I know what you mean, and in a way you're not wrong, but the thing is I bought this phone because it is the only one with an acceptable size (4") that does not run Android (I hate Android) or other pathetic OSs (don't need to name it, do I? 😉). That's why I migrated from BlackBerry (Curve 9380 touch, perfect size, 150$, did everything I needed out of the box and never let me down) to the new iPhone SE...knowing that I would encounter some issues but, in a way, I had (and have) no other choice. Take care 🙂

May 1, 2016 10:56 AM in response to mreg376

Hi mreg,

I know what you are thinking but it's not entirely true 🙂 I own 7 Macs (from the "old" Powerbook G4 to the newest iMac) and they've always been absolutely perfect (if we try to forget for one moment what happened after Snow Leopard, at least). So I'm not at all new to the Apple operating systems, and that's the core of the problem: Apple OSs have never been particularly flexible as far as modifications are concerned (Linux anyone?), but fact is they were incredibly well-conceived, setup for daily workflow was simple, and they were reliable in the broadest sense of the term (no nonsense features, no absurd limitations, no problems, no hassles, everything could be done with a couple of commands, and so on). I never bought an iPhone because the iPhone, since its first iteration, has always been the opposite (I had the choice when the first model was available only in the US, and I chose to go BlackBerry for some very good reasons): it was bad as a phone (and everyone acknowledged this), it had battery issues, you had to pay for basic apps (while BlackBerry had OfficeToGo built in, to read and modify word, pdf, excel and powerpoint files), it was very expensive and (at least here in Italy) the tariff plans (which were indivisible from the iPhone) were a bloodbath. That's why, despite being a Mac user for more than twelve years, I bought the BlackBerry instead of the iPhone, and never regretted my choice for one second. And now that I'm forced to change (BlackBerry makes only big 6-7" phones now, and has started to use Android, which I hate, as OS) I experience the difference that I knew there was:

1) I have a phone that imported the entire list of my contacts only with iTunes 12.3 which, by the way, cannot be installed on Macs running Snow Leopard (the ones I use to work); I was lucky to have two new Macs that I bought last year for my private practice: if I hadn't them, I should have copied my contacts (350+) by hand (maybe it's just me not trusting Cloud systems). And this confirms the direction that Apple has taken in recent years regarding compatibility: needless to say that, to me, this is ridiculous.

2) as I already wrote, if you develop a phone with 4" screen plus frame, without a "back" button near the "home button" on the inferior side of the frame, and you provide it with an OS that stacks icons from top to bottom and has "back" commands in every page appearing in the top left corner, how the h**l do you think a normal right handed person can use it in portrait mode with one hand??? I mean, I'm not a 5ft girl with tiny hands, I'm a 6ft guy and still can't manage to reach that top left corner with my thumb without dropping the phone on the floor in the process. And this is not the first iteration of this phone...which makes it absolutely unacceptable from Apple.

3) you (Apple) decide that people do not need to use landscape view on the home screen pages (and appstore, and itunes store) with iPhones that have a 4" display: are you joking? And how am I supposed to navigate with one hand in portrait view through the menus (see point 2)?? Was it really so difficult to give us the possibility of locking the view for everything (and this is given) but also to unlock it for everything (home screen included)?? Here we're not talking about hardware choices (that imply costs and everything), here we're talking about a certain kind of mentality that's been lost...and you can feel it. If this iPhone was sent back in time 10-15-20 years without the brand on it, not a single Apple customer would believe it was made by Apple. It has tens of useless (some even plain incomprehensible) options to navigate in the settings page, but you cannot use it with one hand nor you can turn it to use it with two...ah, well, wait, that is just for the home screen, with apps and messages and safari you magically can...so landscape view is now useful...or not?!? Come on....

That's it: you see, I'm not new to Apple operating systems, I just feel that the mentality they've demonstrated in recent years is only good to make them earn more money, not to make things better anymore. Take care 🙂

May 1, 2016 11:20 AM in response to NeptuneKing

You posted a "solution" that was immediately deleted, that you can do what you want by hacking ("jailbreaking") your phone. If you are even considering that, instead return the phone immediately. Jailbreaking is probably the most stupid thing you can do to an iOS device, after dropping it in a toilet. It opens you up to hundreds of hacks, viruses and other malware that the secure iOS protects you from.

iPhone SE: home screen rotation doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.