Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server El Captan packet filter not working?

Hello guys,

I've enabled both the packet filter firewall and the Adaptive Firewall on OS X Server following these guides from Apple itself.

OS X Server: Packet filter rules do not load - Apple Support

How to enable the adaptive firewall on OS X Server - Apple Support

However, I noticed that packet filter will not create and/or use any of the tables specified in the rules. For instance, the command sudo pfctl -s Tables will not show any tables at all. Needless to say, the packet filter isn't working. The IPs I've configured as blacklisted are still getting through. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:25 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 10:15 AM in response to AndreGB

The default configuration of the adaptive firewall doesn't actually work, though the documentation doesn't bother to mention that fact. Besides following those instructions, you have to edit the file /etc/af.plist. Change the value of the key "firewall_address" from the default "127.0.0.1" to the IP address of the interface on which the server listens.

OS X Server El Captan packet filter not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.