Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

Hello. Should I turn on Time Machine on my new MBP? I basically just use it for email, news and weather for the most part. Thank you in advance!!

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:22 AM

4 replies

May 1, 2016 9:24 AM in response to j_52

It is always a good idea and cannot be recommended strongly enough to always backup your computer

As you probably know Apple devices are more resilient and reliable than others but at times the law of averages does catch up -

I would absolutely recommend that you invest in a backup storage solution using TM on your computer

It is, as you know, simplicity itself once you connect an appropriately formatted hard disk

I am sure the other posters will advise you similarly

May 1, 2016 9:43 AM in response to j_52

It sometimes takes staring a blank, unresponsive screen on a crashed computer to convince users to make a Trusted Backup. If that happened to you, I think there are things you might miss. For one thing, the email addresses of your correspondents.

"Smart people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from other people's mistakes."

Be really smart and set up a Trusted Backup as soon as you can. Time machine was included free. All you need is a big (3x the size of your "stuff" is recommended) slow (USB-2 will work just fine) backup drive and to turn it on.

May 1, 2016 11:09 AM in response to j_52

Imagine that every bit of data you have—email, bookmarks, passwords, contacts, and anything else—were to be wiped out beyond any hope of recovery. You have to start your whole digital life over again with nothing. The question is, would that bother you? If you can honestly answer "no," then you don't need backups. Otherwise, you do.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.