Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

calculator does not work

It's bad enough that a once vibrant and visually stimulating UI has been reduced to a bland, lifeless card-bored cut-out, but ever since El Capitan, with his Microsoft Mindset, has taken the Wheel, now even the simple Calculator doesn't work !

Whether using the mouse or the keyboard, anytime I try to enter a function like +, -, *, /, =, all I get is a "ding". I don't mind the "ding" so long as it is followed by an action.

I mean Really ?

Can't even get a calculator to work after how many OS Updates to El Capitan ?

Maybe no one else has this problem, and even more like Microsoft, it was a bad update from Yosemite for me ?
I mean, c'mon !

When Jobs was alive, I don't remember Apple suffering from Mickey$oft problems like this.

It Just Worked.

Now, I can't even have another user logged on along side mine without the fan running on high and System Preferences getting hung !

And I'm not lean on System Resources either ! Added RAM and an SSD.

And, no, the Fan does not run continuously because of the SSD anymore. At least one thing got fixed.

Geez, maybe I should start thinking Ubuntu ?

They've made a lot of good progress !

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Mac mini 2011

Posted on May 1, 2016 9:19 AM

7 replies

May 1, 2016 9:30 AM in response to i3DitUp

My Calculator works as expected and no sound effects. In fact, it's the first time I've heard of this issue.

Please quit out of Calculator. Then, make your user library visible. In Finder Command+Shift+H to go to Home. Then, Command + J > Checkmark Show Library Folder at the bottom of the pop-up menu. Now go to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.calculator and drag that file to your desktop.

Relaunch Calculator and test.

May 1, 2016 10:22 AM in response to i3DitUp

If the above doesn't work, it might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.calculator.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

calculator does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.