Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I pod "freezes" on the last song played when using search in my car

I have a 2013 ford edge. When I use the search for a song feature from my car's audio system, the Ipod will play that song it but no other song will play until I re-download my music from Apple's my music section. Oddly, the music shows as still on the ipod but fro some reason the search function on my stereo causes the ipod to "freeze" on that song.

How can I use my cars search feature without causing the ipod to "freeze" on that song

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:47 PM

Did this work before, with this car's audio system and your iPod, and does not work now for some reason? Or are you trying to use your iPod in your car for the first time?

the Ipod will play that song it but no other song will play

NOTE: On recent car audio systems that have a USB port for connecting devices, the car audio system is doing the song playing. The iPod is just there to act as a storage device for song files.

So the problem is likely to be the car audio system having problems accessing songs stored on the iPod. This could be due to a hardware problem, such as a faulty hard drive in the iPod, or it may be data corruption. You may want to d a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. This erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

After the Restore, re-sync your songs. If the problem is only data corruption (and the iPod previously worked properly in your car), the Restore (and re-sync) should resolve the problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 5:47 PM in response to andrew06810

Did this work before, with this car's audio system and your iPod, and does not work now for some reason? Or are you trying to use your iPod in your car for the first time?

the Ipod will play that song it but no other song will play

NOTE: On recent car audio systems that have a USB port for connecting devices, the car audio system is doing the song playing. The iPod is just there to act as a storage device for song files.

So the problem is likely to be the car audio system having problems accessing songs stored on the iPod. This could be due to a hardware problem, such as a faulty hard drive in the iPod, or it may be data corruption. You may want to d a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. This erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

After the Restore, re-sync your songs. If the problem is only data corruption (and the iPod previously worked properly in your car), the Restore (and re-sync) should resolve the problem.

May 3, 2016 7:34 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I bought my Nano about 2 years ago and use it all the time - on the train, while jogging, walking everywhere- it works perfectly, however, when I play it in my car it shuts off in the middle of a song. It's not the same song, I have tried other songs on different days, and it does not work with those either. It's a random thing, I guess. FYI: I have a 2010 Toyota and have the USB (auxiliary?) connection for my ipod. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this fixable? Thanks in advance.

May 3, 2016 8:09 PM in response to Christine Altieri

As noted in reply to the original topic creator, an iPod connected to the car audio system is NOT playing the songs. The car audio system is doing the song playing, and the iPod is just a USB storage device with song files (accessed by the car audio system). It's like connecting a common USB flash drive (with song files) to that USB port. Therefore, you cannot directly compare playing the iPod as a music player to using it as a storage device connected to the car audio system; the iPod is being used in different ways. It could have data corruption (or a hardware problem) that affects one usage but not the other. Or if this never worked properly before, your iPod model may not be compatible (check user guide for car audio system for list of compatible devices).

Also as described in the previous reply, you should try doing a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. Did you do that? If the problem is only data corruption (not a hardware problem or incompatibility), the Restore (and re-sync) should resolve that problem.

You may want to consider using an inexpensive USB flash drive (with song files loaded) instead of your iPod. Here's one that barely sticks out of the USB Port (no cable needed) that has same storage capacity as your iPod nano

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FY NSZA (or get higher capacity)

(EDIT: Something is messed up with adding links to posts. Search on "SanDisk Cruzer Fit" for the above item.)

You can load it up and leave it connected to your car audio system, except when you want to update its song files. You'll avoid the wear-and-tear of constantly connecting and disconnecting your iPod, and the potential for heat/cold damage (or theft) if you forget and leave your iPod in your parked car. Use your iPod as a music player, not a song storage device for your car.

I pod "freezes" on the last song played when using search in my car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.