Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi,can someone help me choose a good macbook pro?

i wanted to ask you guys, is it worth getting a used macbook pro late 2011 with core i5,8gb of ram and 256gb ssd? the asking price is 500$.
Im going to mostly use it for web browsing ,listening music and watching movies thank you

iPhone 6s

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:24 AM

12 replies

May 1, 2016 10:47 AM in response to hops-c

The 2011 MBP is falling off official support in about 9 months (5 years, plus 6-ish months). If you are just entering the Mac-world on a system that you will need to maintain, I would check out apple-refurbished (my 2011 is Apple-refurbished) http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac and add AppleCare. They have 13 in MBP fo rless than $1000.

I do not know the seller so will not speak badly or well of him/her, I just advise caution because of the machine's age.

May 1, 2016 10:55 AM in response to hops-c

It depends

1. The recent (?retina) Macs do not allow for user replacement hard disks and RAM

2. The older machines do allow for that - parts are available through OWC and Crucial and instructions are on www.ifixit.com - depends on your personal proclivity to do some tinkering around your machine - there are people willing to guide you with step by step instructions

3. You can always come here and ask your questions

May 1, 2016 10:58 AM in response to hops-c

Genius Bar will not work on it ... the parts will not be stocked and they will advise you find third-party support. Does not mean it will stop working (there are 2006 models that still function) but you may want to learn a bit more about Macs before you become self-service.

I have replaced the RAM and HD/SSD in mine so have the experience/confidence to work on mine. But will still get mine in for a final checkup before it goes off-support.

Hi,can someone help me choose a good macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.