Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive for mac and pc

I'm looking for recommendations on a good hard drive that will work for my macbook pro and my Gateway pc. I'm not savvy in this area at all so I don't have a clue. What I do know is that I have thousands of pictures and lots of information on my pc and mac that I want to protect. I'm guessing that I need something portable that will allow me to move the device between the two. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:41 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2016 12:16 PM in response to Mauigirl2013

Most any external drive will work. I prefer ones with a separate wall power supply instead of getting power fro the USB bus. They seem to be more reliable.

What is important is the format.

Modern PCs use NTFS disk format which a Mac can't natively write to. There are apps like the following that can allow a Mac to write to a NTFS formatted disk

Tuxera NTFS for Mac

Paragon NTFS for Mac® 14

You can also format the disk in FAT32 but file size is limited to 4 GB.

You can also format it is exFAT that is compatible between PCs and Macs. However, sometimes that creates problems especially if the disk is formatted in exFAT on a MAC. formatting on a PC is better

Hard Drive for mac and pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.