Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIFF needs rendering on top of new (different codec) video footage. How can I update it?

Hi, I'm editing a sequence on Final Cut which has a TIFF file which acts as a mask or border for the video. I have never had to render this TIFF file when I lay the video underneath it but recently the video codec has changed, it is now ProRes422 HQ, whereas before I think it was H.264. I have updated the sequence settings to ProRes but the TIFF now needs to be rendered when I lay the video down, whereas before it didn't. Is there a way I can workaround this? I have tried re-exporting the TIFF but still no luck.

This is my machine spec...

iMac

21.5-inch, Late 2012

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Serial Number: DG******NMM

OSX Build: 10.9.5 (13F1603)

Processor: 3.1ghz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16gb 1600 MHz DDR3

It has the following Hard Disks...

Fusion Drive 1.11tb, with 692.58gb free

External 10tb SAS Disk, with 2.9tb free

Boot Drive 12.01gb, with 4.65gb free

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on May 1, 2016 10:25 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 7:15 AM in response to alexfromwalthamstow

In FCP, you would typically let the application set the sequence properties to match the first clip edited to your timeline.

You'll definitely want to avoid editing H.264 material in Final Cut. It may be importable, but it will too often cause problems at some stage of the process. H.264 should be transcoded before import to an editing codec like Po Res 422 or Pro Res LT. (Pro Res HQ is overkill.) If you have an intact copy of the card that the footage was recorded to, you may be able to use Log & Transfer. If not, there are several options – including Compressor and MPE Streamclip.

As to your rendering question, no…there isn't any way to avoid rendering the still images.

Good luck.

Russ

BTW, just so you know for any future questions, there is an active Final Cut Studio forum here and it gets much higher traffic than this forum.

May 2, 2016 3:40 PM in response to Russ H

Hi, yes FCP set the sequence settings to the footage I'm using.

I'm not editing with H.264, so don't worry about that.

I'm editing with ProRes but I want to find a way to insert the ProRes footage underneath a TIFF file which masks it. I have done this before, where no 'red' rendering is required, so I just want to find how to do that again?

TIFF needs rendering on top of new (different codec) video footage. How can I update it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.