Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes automatically checks all of my purchased songs at random times

This is driving me absolutely up the wall.😠 For some reason that I can't quite understand, iTunes checks ALL of the songs I have purchased in iTunes at what seems like totally random times (but it increasingly looks like every time I do something with iTunes these days, it happened twice this week for example).

For example just now I ripped a new CD into iTunes and I wanted to download it to my iPhone, but I got an error message because there is not enough room. Well, what do you know, there isn't enough room because all of a sudden, every single song I've purchased on iTunes in the past is now checked, even though I had to uncheck them the other day because the same thing happened; I really don't know why a check mark suddenly appears in front of all of these songs. I can't even begin to express how sick I am of this. I don't really like wasting my time because apparently Apple's software has a mind all of its own... What could be causing it? I'd really appreciate if someone could help on this because it's driving me insane.. :-\

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on May 1, 2016 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2016 11:13 AM

This rechecking of unchecked tracks appears to be a bug in the current build. In some cases it seems to affect purchases and may be triggered by syncing a device.

The purpose of the check flag isn't primarily to control what is synced. It's more of a "ignore this track unless I deliberately choose to play it" flag. Checked status is a poor sync control mechanism. The flag can be easily altered in error if you accidentally Ctrl+Click on a check box while trying to select tracks for some other purpose, can prevent you playing content that you're excluding from your device, and doesn't cut it at all if you have multiple devices.

i'd recommend you sync with selected playlists. You can either make a list of everything that you want on the device, or make a list of everything that you want to exclude and a smart playlist that is everything in Music that isn't in the exclude list. The second approach means that new purchases are always added to the device without further effort.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2016 11:13 AM in response to ogandou

This rechecking of unchecked tracks appears to be a bug in the current build. In some cases it seems to affect purchases and may be triggered by syncing a device.

The purpose of the check flag isn't primarily to control what is synced. It's more of a "ignore this track unless I deliberately choose to play it" flag. Checked status is a poor sync control mechanism. The flag can be easily altered in error if you accidentally Ctrl+Click on a check box while trying to select tracks for some other purpose, can prevent you playing content that you're excluding from your device, and doesn't cut it at all if you have multiple devices.

i'd recommend you sync with selected playlists. You can either make a list of everything that you want on the device, or make a list of everything that you want to exclude and a smart playlist that is everything in Music that isn't in the exclude list. The second approach means that new purchases are always added to the device without further effort.

tt2

iTunes automatically checks all of my purchased songs at random times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.