Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has My MacBook Pro Always Been Too Hot?!

I have an early 2009 MacBook Pro 17". I always figured that Macs just ran really hot, and that my software was CPU intensive. But, I'm slowly realizing that my MacBook Pro may have been a dud from the start.

It always gets hot. Like, really really hot. I had to purchase a cooling plate for it to sit on any time I was using Photoshop or Pro Tools. Now, granted it's 6 years old, but it's never below 200 degrees F, and peaks at around 223 degrees F, according to SMC Fan Control. I recently downloaded the fan control to override the fans and push them to the max. I have it on the max setting constantly now. Unless I have 1 program open at a time, I need the fans on full 6000rpm to attempt to keep it below 200 degrees. If I have Spotify and Photoshop open, not even intense photo editing, just 1 layer basic levels ****, it maxes out at 220+ degrees with fans on full, and doesn't go down. I had the fans cleaned of all dust, problem still occurs.

User uploaded file

Again, I assumed this was all normal and wasn't causing any damage. But, now I'm not sure if it's just old age, or if this heat has contributed to the massive issues I'm seeing with my laptop now. The hard drive has failed twice, case is bulging due to what I assume is a bloated battery, and the speed of all software installed has significantly been reduced and is quite annoying. I am terrified that it will **** the bed at any time.

In fact, this 2009 was a replacement because my first Mac, a late 2006 had heat problems and the Logic Board was replaced 4 times before Apple gave me this new one under Apple Care. Was my new one a dud too? Some people say all macs run hot, then others say detrimental harm can happen at these temps.

Is there anything else I can do besides overriding the fans? I desperate. I am a musician and freelance editor scraping by. I use my laptop daily for my income, and cannot afford a new one. Any tips would really help!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 8GB ram, 320gb HD

Posted on May 1, 2016 1:11 PM

1 reply

Has My MacBook Pro Always Been Too Hot?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.